seven - dogfighting.

after rooster and leah finally made up, and maverick pissed off an admiral so badly he was made team leader of the mission, the students finally had some proper down time

after rooster and leah finally made up, and maverick pissed off an admiral so badly he was made team leader of the mission, the students finally had some proper down time. drills sometimes took up most of their schedule, and leah had only just pulled herself out of the slight funk she was in. so, as a way to celebrate the down time, maverick came up with the idea of taking everyone out to the beach. and currently, everyone found themselves caught up in a game of dogfight football.

on one team, was leah, maverick, bob, coyote, and fanboy. the other team consisted of rooster, hangman, phoenix, and payback, hangman insisting they have one less member since he was "so good at the game." with maverick's old friend hondo acting as the referee. and while the super fun game was preparing them as well for their next drill, nobody had any complaints.

for the first time in a while, leah found herself genuinely having a load of fun with everyone else. at that moment, her team was winning, despite bob running around like a madman trying to blend in, not getting the ball whatsoever.

as they were playing, maverick wasn't sure if it was his clumsiness, but he suddenly found himself on the ground as the ball slipped out of his hands. and while shocked initially, a different sense of happiness came over him whenever rooster came over and pulled him up.

as the game continued, maverick eventually decided to sit down and let everyone else have fun. his and leah's team was still winning, despite hangman and rooster finally scoring twice. the same admiral he had pissed off from before had eventually found him, but, maverick didn't care all the same.

just before rooster was about to score again, leah comes up with a, slight impulsive decision since she wasn't too far away. she manages to catch him at the right moment, and tackles him back first right onto the sand. and like maverick, there was an initial feeling of shock at first, but, the two couldn't help but smile at each other as rooster suddenly kissed her on the lips. everyone cheering over the fact that things were finally alright between the two.

the game of dogfight football ended with bob finally managing to catch the ball, and finding it in him to run like hell. and fast enough to where he actually managed to score the winning touchdown.

that night, leah and rooster decided that they were gonna head back to leah's. her dad was gone for the night, so the two had the house to themselves. and of all the things they could do, they were in leah's room, sharing a big bowl of popcorn, watching a stephen king movie. the particular movie they had been watching was the classic "IT," and they had gotten to the scene where pennywise comes up through the shower drain. the moment causes rooster to jump slightly, leah shooting him a look.

"what? how would you feel if a clown shot up through the drain while you were showering?" rooster asks, keeping it entirely hypothetical, of course.

"i would say hangman, get out of the shower drain." leah responds, her and rooster exchanging a laugh over the joke. however, no matter how hard leah joked about hangman, that was her friend regardless. rooster and leah simply look at each other for a moment, before sharing a sweet, cheesy kiss.

"you know what i want right about now?" leah starts, a craving for something specific popping into her mind.

"dino nuggets?" rooster finishes, reading her thought almost perfectly

"dino nuggets." with that, the two went to get up to go downstairs to the kitchen, but were suddenly stopped in their tracks whenever the heard a certain someone walk in the front door.

"leah, i'm home!"

immediately, leah feels her heart drop into her stomach.

"that's my dad..hi dad!! i thought you were out for the night?!" leah's scrambles, her and rooster rushing to hide any sort of evidence that leah had brought him over.

"yeah, i was, but don cancelled on me at the last second..did you eat yet? i brought home some chinese food." her dad calls, and while leah really could go for some dino nuggets, chinese food did sound tempting.

"not yet, i'll be down in a sec!" leah responds, her dad not saying anymore as leah pushes rooster towards her bedroom window. rooster, all the while, giving her a very perplexed expression.

"why your window?" he asks, very, very lost.

"if my dad finds out i brought someone home out of the blue he'd lose it. i know it's cheesy, but my dad's my dad." leah explains, a gentle smile on her face.

"fine, but for our future dates, this is the last time i'm going out your window." rooster jokes, sharing leah's smile.

"we'll see about that.." leah starts, kissing him on the lips again. "see you tomorrow."

"see you tomorrow." and with that, rooster hops out of leah's window. as he stands up, wiping the dirt off of his behind, his heart nearly explodes when he locks eyes with leah's dad.

"don't break her heart again." her dad sternly says, rooster giving an inaudible "yes sir" before walking off.

the next morning, things got back to their usual schedule whenever drills started back up. and the particular one they were focusing on today, was one leah had been waiting for since she came back to top gun.

dogfighting.

how maverick set up the drills, was that he would act as a ref, two would be "bandits" and one would be the decoy. the first round had been phoenix and bob versus payback, fanboy, and coyote. surprisingly, phoenix and bob ended up winning pretty quickly.

"hell yeah! that's how you do it boys." phoenix exclaims excitedly.

the next round of drills had been rooster and leah versus hangman. and once again, hangman thought that he had a one-up on both of them. but, once again, rooster and leah strangely disappeared.

"where the fuck did they go? i'm supposed to be the one winning!" hangman comments to himself, forgetting that everyone could hear.

"watch it hangman, bandits will move when you least expect it." maverick explains, trying to get him to focus on the task at hand instead of his large ego. sure enough, maverick's advice proved true whenever rooster's plane springs up first, and then leah's.

"wooo! eat it hangman." rooster jabs, hangman rolling his eyes.

"this isn't over yet!" hangman responds, pulling up in front of the two as he shoots off.

"honestly bradley can we eject him yet?" leah asks, an audible sigh escaping her.

"i think we should wait till we get to a higher altitude."