002, Midnight Memories

Start from the beginning

She mutters thanks before walking to the table and pulling out a chair.

"This sounds... expensive," Laural says, looking up at my mom. My mom shrugs it off. "Oh, don't you worry, Laur. It's on me. It was my idea after all, and we still need to style you for your book party, so..."

"Belly, are you sure you want to do this? It doesn't seem very you."

"It's not." I hear Conrad say. The room turns to him as he looks over at the kitchen from the living room. "Conrad, could you please be a little more supportive?" My mom hisses, looking back at Belly.

"Now, Which one of you is gonna be Belly's escort to the ball?"

"Not me. I went last year." Conrad says, bringing the hangover smoothie back to his lips.

"Yeah, and I swore off balls," I add. Steven laughs from beside me, while my mom eyes me hard. "The dances, dude."

"Wow, guys. Stop fighting over me." Belly laughs, the adds, "Um, I'm not going with either of you. I am going to find my own date."

"Wikipedia says debutante balls require instruction in morals and social etiquette," Laural says, reading off her laptop screen.

I place my arms against the counter thinking.

"I'm going for a swim," Conrad says, heading out the back door. I watch Belly watch him leave and my thoughts trail back to last night.

God, last night was fun.

The cops did catch us and Laurel was pissed about that, but it seems she doesn't think it's such a huge deal as she did last night. Maybe she was just in a mood then, but I'm sure she hardly cares now that mom is up.

I hoped Piper got home safely last night. She did walk home last night and I should've just begged her to let me drive her home. It isn't safe walking home when cops are making sure teens weren't drinking at the party. And Piper was a lot. I really do hope I see her again this summer.

I've never been the type of guy who goes on dates and stuff like that, It just isn't my thing. I talk, flirt, hook up, and that's it. Which is really fucking stupid, but I've never broken my heart, and I'd like to keep it that way for a while.

But Piper changed something last night.

When I saw her in front of the bonfire, I saw myself with her. Sounds stupid, But I used to do it all the time with Belly. I had a massive crush on her, but she always has had eyes on Conrad. But seriously, who wouldn't. Conrad is Conrad. Stronger, manlier, braver, damn I would choose him over myself any day.

The night Piper looked up at me from the fire, I had to talk to her. I needed to hear her voice, see her smile, and be with her. I'm noting saying I'm obsessed with her.

That's pushing it.

I just really wanted to know her, unlike the other girls and guys I've been with. Piper was different and I hate how much that has an effect on me. Because the only girl I've ever loved or wanted to be with was Belly. And Belly won't even look at me like she is with Conrad. I'm a brother to her. To me, she's everything.

"Hey, dude." Steven smacks my ass, walking past me. I jerk out my thoughts and am faced back with reality. Steven is looking at me with his bag in his hands and has toast in his mouth.

"Let's go, don't want to be late."

I take a final glaze back at Belly whos now staring down at her cereal, then I grab my whistle and bag, and head to my first day of work.

Yippie.

————

"HEY JEREMIAH," Gigi says, swimming toward my lifeguard stand. I look down at her and smile. "Hey, Gigi."