Her tailor's husband, however, clearly had a lot of experience. His hands were fast, skilled, and gentle as he pulled her hair back to one side of her neck, wrapping it around itself, then accenting it with a jeweled flower with pearls that trailed down with the rest of her hair. He was equally quick as he applied some soft, light colors to her face. Nothing too extravagant. She was only going to be doing her duties today. No reason to dress up completely.

But she enjoyed the extra attention. She liked that her entire look was going to be complete today before her tailor left to get back to work. She wondered if she could ask her lady's maids to take some lessons in setting her hair.

More than anything, though, she was excited to see Jacques again.

Or, more accurately, she was excited for Jacques to see her again.

She looked good, she felt good, and she was eager to face her husband and show him her new dress. She thought he'd appreciate it.

The two of them had been sharing a room for only a couple days. Very little had changed in their intimacy. One or both of them was always up late and so would have to sneak quietly into bed so as not to disturb the other when they made it back.

The only real difference was how well Manon slept. Sometimes, when she woke earlier than him, she would be able to luxuriate in the fact that she was in his arms. He never failed to hold onto her during sleep – like he was a child clinging to his favorite stuffed toy. His entire body would wrap around her, lean over her, and press against her. His nose would either be at her neck or in her hair, breathing deeply of her scent.

And on the mornings that he woke up first, she still knew he had been doing it because she always roused when he detangled himself. She could tell he was trying not to, and she appreciated the thoughtfulness even as she missed him when he left.

Sleeping in his arms was the best sleep she had ever gotten. Deep, dreamless, and restful. She definitely didn't mind how hard he clung to her. It made her feel appreciated, desired, loved even. She missed him when she did properly wake later and he was gone. But it was okay because she knew that both of them would be returning to the same bed that night. And that knowledge was both somehow a relief and an excitement.

She could feel the day of their intimacy approaching. Every time she found herself with just a little bit of free time, she could easily imagine the moment looming closer. And thinking about it caused a curious, oddly pleasant ache in her core that she knew only one thing would alleviate.

And maybe, when Jacques saw her all dressed up and pretty, that day would arrive even sooner than she thought.

Her husband was busy this morning seeing to the preparations for the summer festival. It was the first holiday since the war ended and, as a result, people were going all out. The summer festival wasn't usually celebrated with so much aplomb and excitement, but just the fact that families were back together and peace had been secured made it worthwhile.

She found Jacques around the side of the palace, in their courtyard that looked over the amber cliffs that the castle rested upon. Railing driven into the stone protected anyone from accidentally falling over, but otherwise, the view was completely clear out over the sparkling ocean that rippled and rolled in the summer breeze.

Jacques was overseeing the tents and poles being raised. Everything was going to be decorated with flowers tomorrow. For now, they were preparing the areas where games, dancing, and eating were going to be taking place. All of the nobles of the city – and more than a few from beyond – had been invited to the palace celebration. All of those from the city and most of them from beyond had promised to attend.