prologue

For their entire lives, the Conklins and Fishers have spent every summer together in Cousins Beach. Laurel and Susannah's children grew up together. They were together for every fourth of July, Susannah's favorite holiday. The kids: Conrad, Steven, Mercedes, Jeremiah, and Isabel, spent every second that they could together. For Mercedes and Isabel, Cousins was their getaway.

When Laurel and Susannah were pregnant at the same time with a boy and a girl, they knew that they would end up together. "It was fate," they said.

"Conrad and Mercedes has a nice ring to it, don't you think?" The two mothers would continuously joke around.

It was always 'Conrad and Mercedes' and 'Jeremiah and Belly.' That's how it's been from the day they would willingly want to hang out.

Everyone but Conrad and Mercedes could see the love that Conrad had for her. Steven would tease him about it all the time. Even the moms would join in on the teasing, which made him beet red. During these moments, Mercedes would playfully punch his arm and give him an 'I'm sorry' smile. Her small gestures would make him less embarrassed but fall even harder.

Everyone, especially Mercedes, thought that this summer would be like every other summer. Instead, it was the summer of stolen glances and longing stares.