CHAPTER | 20

MILES

"I didn't know it would start raining this soon!" Megan looked outside the window as her lips quivered in fright. "I hope the decorations stay."

She had put up a strong façade when she had been with the boys telling them that their decorations would stay strong even if there was a hailstorm. But now, looking at the clouds gathering together to let out tiny drops of rain, her confidence had come down too swiftly.

"Just look at the clouds." I showed her the closed window of our truck. "It's not going to rain that hard. It's just a small drizzle."

Just then a loud thunder splattered right in front of us. I almost saw the lighting spread out in the clouds like veins.

"Oh, my God!" She put her hands on her head as if she had accepted defeat.

I had to supres my chuckle. It was nice seeing her get worked up for something as petty as rain. Looking at her hyperventilate, I had chosen to drive and looking at her now, I was glad that she wasn't behind the wheel.

I halted her car right in front of her apartment, hoping that she won't have to get wet while she ran to the door. "Look, it's not your fault that it rained. It could happen to anyone. Take a deep breath, you'll be okay."

She obliged, taking a deep breath. "Okay. I'm okay."

"Good. Now, run to your door. I'll call Steve and let him get my car around for me." I informed as I turned off the ignition and got the seatbelt out.

"Where the heck do you think you are going in this rain?" She demanded, as her lips curled into a cute pout. "Aren't you able to see how heavily it's been raining here? Did you see the lightning? Or hear the thunder? You're not going anywhere!"

Taken aback by her sudden outburst, I put my hands up in mock surrender. "Okay, okay. I'm not going anywhere. Hey, but you won't go to Amber's place tonight?"

"No. I don't want to go anywhere in this rain." She muttered, looking outside the window again.

Was she afraid of something? She was suddenly acting very strange, and I vowed it to myself to find that out as soon as I could.

"Okay. I'll get down and come to your side first." I instructed. "Since we don't have any umbrellas, we are going to run at the count of three, okay?"

She nodded and waited for me to run to her side. Megan was right. It was raining too heavily and the ear-piercing thunders and the eye-pricking lightning seemed to communicate that this rain wasn't going anywhere for the next few hours at the least.

As Megan got down the car, we had to shout the countdown in the rain for us to make a run. Yeah, it was a horrible idea, but at the moment, it didn't seem too bad. Though it was only a few feet away from the curb, we were soaked wet by the time we reached the door. With shaky hands, Megan unlocked the door and let us in.

"The power's out." Megan groaned as she threw the key in the usual bowl that she often used. "I can't believe that my day could get worse than this!"

I chuckled. "I can't believe my day could get better than this."

"What do you mean?" She turned around. In the dark, I could see her outlined figure daring me to say the words.

"What am I going to do about the clothes?" I asked instead of answering her questions. "I don't have any spare with me and I don't think walking around naked in your apartment would be appreciated."

I could feel the sudden heat of her cheeks and I cursed under my breath for the power for not letting me see the color on her.

"I... I have a spare from... I couldn't throw... I'll just get it." She muttered, turning away. "The gas geyser should be working. Could you turn it on?"