Positive Vibration , Bob Marley & The Wailers

Taro is an unusual name. But so is moving to Texas from New York because your drug addict of a mother finally lost her mind and you were sent to live with your aunt who couldn't give a shit about anything. So hey, the name matches the life. I mean, at least that's what it felt like. Especially when school was supposed to get out today, but instead Taro is stuck at a different school, in a different state that still has two more weeks left.

Taro knocked on the classroom door- Mrs.Annes textiles class, whatever the hell that means- after signing all the papers in the office. The door quickly opened to reveal a short brunette woman clearly on the older side.

"Oh, you're the new student, yes? Come in, come in. Class, we have a new student! And what may your name be?"

"Uh, Taro. Like those witchy cards, y'know? Call me Stoney if you wanna."

"This is Taro, or...Stoney if you'd like. You may go sit over at the empty desk by Michelle, Michelle if you would please raise your hand for our newest classmate." Michelle's hand was raised and Taro quickly made their way to the empty desk. After Taros quick introduction, the teacher continued with her ramble.

"She sure does like yappin, huh?" Taro muttered to herself with big eyes and a sigh.

"Yeah, kinda. Don't worry she's nice and all, just talkative. One of the best teachers here actually." An unexpected response was made from the girl who had raised her hand.

"Oh. Thanks, man. You're um... Melisa right?"

"No, no I'm Michelle." She let out a few giggles at Taro's forgetfulness. "I like your shirt!"

"Well, thank you pretty lady! It's Black Sabbath. Metalll yeah, y'know what I'm saying?"

"Ladies, let's pay attention over there please." Mrs. Anne interrupted.

"Sorry, Mrs. Anne." Michelle replied. She seemed like a nice girl, Stoney definitely wouldn't mind being friends with her. She was pretty too.

"Yeah sorry Mrs.Anne." Taro quickly apologized after the girl to her right did.

The hour went by pretty quickly, after the teacher finished her speel they were allowed to talk to each other and finish their projects- apparently, textiles is sewing. Taro was counted out of the project so instead, she just talked to Michelle and drew on the desk. As the bell rang, Taro quickly grabbed her bag and practically ran out of the room.

"Hey, wait up!" A voice coming from behind Taro exclaimed as they quickly waved their way through the crowd.

"Oh, hey man. Whatcha up to?" The quick reply was made as Michelle now walked down the hall next to Taro.

"I've gotta few friends that I think would like you. Wanna meet em'?"

"Oh, I guess. I was gonna go have a quick smoke and whatever but sure I guess." The last sentence was mumbled, but Michelle still heard it and let out a few giggles at the girl's attitude.

"It's your first day! C'mon, meet some people, save that for later! You clearly already got a buzz goin." Michelle took her hand and started moving down the hall quicker, towards the woodshop.

"Boooo! I met you, I'm okie dokie, my friend, I just need a little bit of the Purple Punch to cheer me up. Y'know what I'm saying, Shelly?"

"Hey, Pink! I want you to meet someone!" As they rounded the corner Michelle started waving down a guy with longish hair, wearing a pair of flared jeans and a shirt with Led Zeppelin on it.

"Hey Michelle, you seen Kevin? Can't find him. Who's this?" He flashed a smile to Stoney as he asked.

"He skipped today, told his mom he didn't feel good, y'know how she is. This is Taro."

"Heyoo." Taro quickly waved at the man with a grin, showing off the gap between her front teeth.

"Taro, meet Randall 'Pink' Floyd. Get it?"

"Cause of the band, right? All of my friends 'fore I moved called me stoney....not after a band or anything, I just get stoned a lot." The other two seemed to find the nickname funny as they chuckled about it, Pink turning as he heard someone yell his name.

"Don, c'mere!" Another guy wearing a pair of simple jeans and a plain dark blue t-shirt started jogging toward the group with a grin on his face.

"What's goin' on Pink? Well, who's this lovely lady? Don't think I've ever seen you round these parts." It was clear from the grin on his face and the amusement in his words that he was joking around.

"This is Taro, goes by Stoney. She's new."

"Oh, really? Where you from Stoney?"

"Out in New York- Bronx.  Heyyy...I saw you yesterday! I was lookin for lemon heads at the gas station yesterday and the guy started yellin at a buncha dudes for stealing stuff! Pretty gnarly dude."

The new guy's face scrunched in confusion as he looked over to Pink and mouthed gnarly, confused about what it meant. Pink shrugged in response. It was clear that the community of Austin, Texas, and the skaters of New York had a pretty big language barrier.

"Doesn't she remind you of someone?" Michelle spoke as she stepped forward from behind Taro, putting an arm around her.

"Jeez, yeah! Slater 2.0- God, never introduce them they'd never stop talking." As Don spoke, he walked backward, towards the wood shop room.

"I better get going- if I'm late anymore I'll get detention and my dad'll kill me. See you two later!" Pink told the two girls while following after Don, jogging to catch up.

"Who's  Slater?" Taro suddenly asked Michelle as the two began walking down the hall again. After looking at the schedule Taro was given, they realized that they had English in the same hallway.

"I'll introduce you later. You'll like him- a lot."

"Is he hot?"

"Stoney!"

"What man? It's an honest question. Oh, come on Shelly! Tell me! You're not getting out of this! Y'know this is making it seem like he's smokin' and you just don't want to admit it cause of that boyfriend of yours. Is that what this is about? You're no fun, you hear me? No fun!" Michelle started walking faster to avoid the girl as she giggled her way to English class.

——
if it wasn't obvious, taros character is heavily based on Stoney from Encino Man cause it's one of my fav movies and I love how pauly shore portrays him.