2

─────────THE FATHER

─────────
THE FATHER

"ELIJAH!" Hayley hissed in utter disbelief as soon as Elijah walked into courtyard. Her eyes narrowed on the little figure curled up in his arms as she blurred down the courtyard to meet him.

"Did you seriously kidnap a baby?! I know I'm grieving at the loss of Hope, but you didn't need to kidnap some defenceless child to make me happy! Who are you and what have you done with Elijah?!" She demanded, meeting Elijah in the middle of the courtyard.

Elijah glared, shielding Trinity with his body. He pressed her against his chest protectively.

"Would you please lower your voice?" He whispered urgently, flickering his eyes downward to make sure that Trinity was still sleeping.

He smiled when he saw her soft sleeping face. She even slept with a smile. What a happy little child. He just hoped that he would keep that beautiful smile on her face for as long as possible.

"I don't want her to wake up screaming," he murmured, gently rocking the sleeping baby in his arms. He didn't wish for her to be disturbed. She looked so peaceful lying there in his arms.

Hayley's eyes softened as she took a slow step forward, peeking over his shoulder to look down at the sleeping babe. Hayley gasped, taking in her cute features.

"Oh my god, she's so cute!" Hayley gushed excitedly, her hands flying to her chest as she took the baby's features in.

"Just look t her.." she murmured in awe, gently running a fingertip down her soft, chubby cheek.

"Isn't she so sweet?" Trinity made a noise underneath her breath, leaning into the touch in her sleep.

Elijah's lips curled up into a soft smile as his eyes flickered over Hayley before looking down at Trinity as she slept in his arms.

"She's gorgeous, isn't she?" Hayley whispered, looking up at Elijah. Elijah nodded, bouncing her gently in his arms.

"She is," he murmured in agreement. The two stood in silence for a few moments, before Hayley spoke up again. "Where did you find her?" She asked softly, leaning into Elijah's warm side. Elijah smiled before answering.

"I found her in the the bayou. She was in a clearing that wasn't there before. I couldn't leave her there for someone else to take her. I was so drawn to her, so I brought her back with me," he explained, gazing down at the sleeping Trinity.

Hayley's heart swelled on her chest. "You care for her already, don't you?" She didn't need to ask. She saw it on his face.

She was suddenly reminded of when she gave birth to Hope. She blinked back the tears that were threatening to surface. Elijah nodded, looking at her. "I do," he said simply, holding her firmly as she began to stir in his arms.