Taking Offense!

Zacznij od początku

Nicole was out of the door and on her way to the diner as soon as she straightened her bedroom. She had to get rid of the bed sheets. They smelled like him, Marko. Walking out, she had left the money on the counter, still debating what to do with it. If only she had asked him what his full name was. Come to think of it, maybe Jake would be able to get one of his police buddies to help by using face recognition. They had surveillance at the pub, so she could just get that to him. She was definitely not sending that video to her father.

"You are late!" was the greeting that met her when she finally got to the dinner. Her car had decided to take its time to start this morning.

"I know," she said as she got behind the counter and put on her white apron and head cover. "Overslept."

"I told you that you don't need to be here every day, I understand how demanding your job is," Lisa said as she placed a freshly baked apple pie on the display cabinet.

"I know but I love working here," Nicole replied as she went to work on the coffee machine. That was her forte. She loved her coffee and she loved making it. "Where else can I get to eat raisin muffins for free!"

Lisa stopped what she was doing and walked to where Nicole was. Placing her hand on Nicole's, she turned her around, "So that's why! And I thought it was because you loved us?"

Nicole looked at the older woman. Lisa and her husband John owned the dinner and were friends of her parents. It was the first place that Nicole found employment when she came into the city. As they never had children of their own they had taken her under their wings and offered her a job and a place to stay. Only when she was able to support herself, did she move out, that was three years ago. And even though now they had a team of three helpers, Nicole always made sure she was there for the morning round. It was her way of giving back to them. And also a way of keeping an eye on them for her parents.

"You know I love you, Lisa," she said with a smile. "But I love muffins even more." She smiled and winked at the older woman.

Lisa placed her hand on Nicole's cheek, "You had better love us."

Before they could finish with their conversation a doorbell rang, indicating a customer had just entered. "We are not done with this conversation, young lady."

Nicole leaned forward and placed a kiss on the older woman's cheek, "oh yes we are, ma'am." She turned her megawatt smile to the customer. "Good morning, what can I get for you today, Derek?" And that was the beginning of a busy morning rush hour.

By the time 11AM hit, Nicole was already tired. She wondered how she was going to cope with her late-night shift at the pub later. Pulling out her phone she quickly dialed the most frequently used number on her phone.

"Hello?" came a groggy sound.

"Seriously!" Nicole exclaimed. "You are still asleep, Fey?"

There was a bit of shuffling and then some muffled voices before Fey's voice sounded through the speakers. "God, Nic! You have impeccable timing, you know that."

Nicole laughed, "why, thank you. Who was that in the background?"

"None of your business!" Fey shot back. "What do you want?" she groaned.

"Is that the way to speak to your best friend?" Nicole asked as she collected some chocolate-covered donuts and two cups of double espresso. Putting the money for them in the cash register, she waved to Lisa and walked out. "I have chocolate donuts and a cup of coffee from Lisa's."

"Get here fast!"

"Yeah, just make sure that loverboy is out before I get there," she chuckled as she heard Fey shout to whoever was in her apartment. "Or at least wearing some clothes."