1.32| Mark of Love

[In the hospital wing the next day, Maddie is lying in bed with her arm bandaged. She awakens, puts on her glasses, and sits up. There are cards and candy all over. Dumbledore approaches her.]

Dumbledore: Good afternoon, Madelyn. Ah. Tokens from your admirers?
Madelyn: Admirers? And please Professor, call me Maddie. Madelyn sounds like I'm in trouble.
Dumbledore: Of course Maddie. What happened down in the dungeons between you and Professor Quirrell is a complete secret, so, naturally, the whole school knows. [They both smile.] Ah, I see your friend Ronald has saved you the trouble of opening your Chocolate Frogs.
Madelyn: Ron was here? Is he all right? What about Sky? Is he alright? What about Hermione?
Dumbledore: Fine. They're all just fine.
Madelyn: But, what happened to the Stone?
Dumbledore: Relax, dear girl. The stone has been destroyed. My friend Nicholas and I had a little chat and agreed it was best all around.
Madelyn: But Flamel, he'll die, won't he?
Dumbledore: [sits on the bed.] He has enough Elixir to set his affairs in order. But yes, he will die.
Madelyn: How is it I got the Stone, sir? One minute I was staring in the mirror, and the next...
Dumbledore: Ah. You see, only a person who wanted to find the Stone, find it, but not use it, would be able to get it. That is one of my more brilliant ideas. And between you and me that's saying something.
Madelyn: Does that mean, with the Stone gone, I mean, that Voldemort can never come back?
Dumbledore: Ah, I'm afraid there are ways in which he can return. Maddie, do you know why Professor Quirrell couldn't bear to have you touch him? [Maddie shakes her head.] It was because of your mother. She sacrificed herself for you, and that kind of act leaves a mark. [Maddie touches her scar.] No, no, this kind of mark cannot be seen. It lives in your very skin.
Madelyn: What is it?
Dumbledore: Love, Maddie , love. [Pats Maddie's head gently and stands up.] Ah. Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans. I was most unfortunate in my youth to come across a vomit flavored one, and since then I have lost my liking for them. But I think I could be safe with a nice toffee...[takes brown bean and eats it.] Mm. Alas. Earwax.

"Your definitely one of a kind Professor."

——————————♥︎——————————

A/N

-18/6/2022