Melvin bent down, putting on one of those things that baseball players wear to protect their crotch. "Or nut bits, or nut chips, I'm talkin' a full nut."

Ed Earl looked at him as David lowered his head trying not to snicker. "I can see that..." Ed Earl replied.
"Thank god we still live in a society where anything that's phony or dishonest can't stand the light or day."
Melvin turned back towards Ed Earl.

"Sock."

Ed Earl gave him a confused look. "Beg your pardon?"
Melvin held his hand out. "Uh, sock."
Ed Earl handed him the sock.
Melvin thanked hin before shoving the sock into his pants and zipping his pants up.

Ed Earl looked as he put the sock into his pants with an expression that was mixed with both disgust and disbelief.
David was shocked, but also amused.
Melvin began to adjust the belt on his pants.
"But you show up with your TV camera and give them a little bad publicity and they shape up faster than goose shit slides through a tin horn."

"Well, Melvin." David cleared his throat as he stood up and walked over to Melvin. "We would like to talk to you about that bad publicity."
"That could hurt people. You take that report you're doin' on The Chicken Ranch." Ed Earl began. "I wouldn't be suprised if your grandaddy took your daddy out there to learn about the birds and the bees."

David looked at Ed Earl. "Sheriff-"

"I'm from New Jersey." Melvin replied bluntly. "See, I moved to Houston six years ago. Texas suits my style."
David was about to say something but he was cut off by Ed Earl. Ed Earl continued with his list of reasons of why he shouldn't report on the ranch. But do you think that Melvin cares if most of the politicians slept there?

"And the Mayor and the people of my county that voted for me, they want to keep things just the way they are."
"Hmm. You know something, it just struck me. All three of us are in law enforcement. I'm out here fightin' for the rights of the public, just like you two. All of us are interested in protectin' the public." He pointed one finger at David, then another on his other hand towards Ed Earl. "You in the old way..." Melvin then pointed both fingers at him. "And me in the new."

"Uh-huh...." Ed Earl mumbled. "The new?"

"Television. I'm the electronic bounty hunter. I use a camera, you both use a gun."
"Yeah, well, Melvin, everybody would be happy if you'd just drop the whole thing."
Melvin turned away from the two, he rolled his eyes. "Ah." He simply replied.
"Plus-" But once again, David was cut off by Ed Earl. "I mean, even if what they're doing is right or wrong..."
Now, Ed Earl was cut off by Melvin.

"Right or wrong don't interest me! I'm no moralizer. I leave all that to the preacher." Melvin exclamined.
"Well, I'm glad. Mayor thought you were out for a little unnecessary publicity." Ed Earl spoke, feeling relieved.
"Unnecessary publicity?!" Melvin asked shocked and offended. "He got me all wrong! I'm not one of those sensation mongers out to boost his own ego!"

Melvin then picked up a scarf to tie around his neck. "How do you like it?" Melvin asked, after he was done.
"It's different." Ed Earl said bluntly, but at the same time trying to not be rude. He was wearing the same outfit he was wearing in that photo on the back of the door.

"It's not...bad." David nodded his head.

"I designed it myself. I knew you'd like it, David. You are the one who wore all those gaudy, weird, zany, wacky, space-lookin' outfits." Melvin smiled.
David didn't know whether he was trying to insult him or he was just being nice but didn't think he was being rude. Either way, David just smiled right back at him.
"Were you inspired by David here?" Ed Earl questioned Melvin, glancing over at David.
"Oh no. I came up with this all by myself. You tell your Mayor he's got nothing to fear about me."

"He'll be happy to hear." Ed Earl grinned, feeling more relaxed.

"I'm a lawman. That's my interest."

"The law, right partner?" Ed Earl asked.

Melvin looked at him for a few moments silently before someone barged into the room.
"20 seconds, Mr. Thorpe." They said before leaving.

"Oh! I'm on! Friends Ed and David, I gotta go. Come on!"

All three of them rushed out of the room.
"Come to think of it, I'd love to do an interview with you, Ed." Melvin told him, as they came to a stop. The stood in front of a door that led to a booth that sat up high and across from the stage.
"I don't think I'm the type." Ed Earl replied.
"Oh, nonsense! You're exactly what the public would like to see." Melvin smiled widely.

"Really?" Ed Earl was a bit surprised. "We'll discuss it after the show."
"I want you to be my guest."
Melvin then pointed towards the booth. "This is ths sponsor's booth. Just go in there, make yourself at home." He opened the door for them. "See you later partners."

"Thank you."

Melvin nodded before closing the door.

As they sat down, they heard people on the stage singing.
"And now, the Watchdog man himself." An announcer came over the overhead speakers. "The eyes and ears of Texas... Melvin P. Thorpe!"

The live audience began clapping as they saw Melvin walk onto the stage.
As the clapping died down, Melvin began to talk.
"Thank you fellow Texans, and welcome to the watchdog report with your's truly, Melvin P. Thorpe."

David turned his head towards Ed Earl who magically had a beer. He was about to ask where he got that beer from but suddenly heard Melvin began to talk again, and what he said really caught his attention.

"This week's spotlight, we'll shine on a shameful situation that has been allowed to exist for close to 100 years. I'm talkin' about The Chicken Ranch my friends."

Abruptly, Ed Earl stopped drinking his beer.

"And the man who turns his back on this illegal operation, is Sheirff Ed Earl Dodd!" He pointed right at the booth as everyone whipped their head around to see Ed Earl sitting in the booth.

"Did I say illegal? Yes I did!"

"David, go down there and unplug those cameras, now!" Ed Earl barked at him. David got up and ran out of the booth.

"I know this is TV, so I'm going to be as delicate as I can! Here it goes, and may God forgive me!"