000 . the first crack in the glass / the breaking point

chapter 000 , part i
the first crack in the glass
november '83

                           "I'M WORRIED ABOUT HIM," Lucy Andrews ranted to her boyfriend, leaning against the locker next to his and ignoring Tommy and Carol altogether. "He keeps saying he's fine, but I know he's not. I mean, first Will, and now—" She lowered her voice to just above a whisper so Carol and Tommy couldn't hear, but they weren't paying attention anyways. "Now our parents. It's ridiculous! The kid's best friend is missing, and they don't have any remorse. How hard is it to put your stupid argument aside and ask your son if he's okay?"

     "No, yeah, I get it." Steve Harrington's brow furrowed. "Have you tried talking to them? You could tell 'em they're being douches. Would that help?"

     "Yeah," she scoffed, "let me just tell my mom and my dad, who are in the midst of a divorce, about how they're being inconsiderate to their son's feelings. I feel like that would go over really well."

     Steve raised his eyebrows and lifted his hands in defense. "Hey, I was j—"

     "I know," she said, immediately regretting her words, waving a hand and pinching the bridge of her nose. "I'm sorry. I don't mean to be snappy. It's just—"

     "No, I know," Steve said. "I'm sorry you have to go through this, Luce. Your parents' problems shouldn't have to be yours, too."

"Thanks, Steve," she said, her face melting into a smile. She planted a kiss on his cheek. "I've got a chem test to go pass. I'll see you after school, right?"

"See you then," he agreed, waving goodbye as she headed off down the hallway.

"You guys are so gross," came Tommy's voice over Steve's shoulder. The latter turned around with a scrunched facial expression. "All PDA and shit."

Steve frowned thoughtfully. "Didn't you guys just get out of detention for doing it in Ms. Click's fifth period?"

Tommy and Carol exchanged a look. Carol twirled the ends of her hair around her finger. "I mean, yeah, but..." She broke into a fit of giggles. "Not like you and Lucy haven't been doing the same thing."

Steve scoffed, disgusted. "We would never. Lucy would never."

"Yeah, but you would," Tommy laughed. "Sorry she's so uptight that you don't get to feel the freedom of doin' it wherever you want."

     "Dude," Steve said, nowhere near amused, "don't say that about her. Don't do that."

     "Don't do what?" Carol scoffed. "Be right? C'mon, Steve, admit it."

     "No, Carol, I won't admit anything. Frankly, I think you both are being pretty harsh on her. She's had a rough week, okay, so could either of you not be assholes for a while? At least until her parents—"

He stopped himself, clearly on the verge of spilling something he shouldn't. Tommy and Carol caught it—they shared an unkind glance, a hint of a smirk tracing both their lips. Tommy cleared his throat. Carol shifted, pressing her tongue against her cheek challengingly.

     "What's up with her parents?" she asked lullingly, her voice heavy with mocking curiosity.

     Steve shook his head, lowering his eyes. "It's—it's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"Oh, no, pretty boy," Tommy said, "you don't get off that easy. Just tell us, dude. We're her friends. We're worried about her, right?"

Carol nodded innocently. "Right."