Chapter 60 Only Human

Start from the beginning

Otto judged that the weapon he saw glowing faintly in the dark was such a weapon. It looked about the size of a short sword. This probably meant that it was made from the remains of Seraph Class beasts. Honkai beasts that could both shoot energy projectiles from afar and bash unfortunate humans with their speed.

'It's the worst match-up.' Otto thought. The series rarely had the ability to shoot projectiles but Otto would have preferred if the attendants had gotten their hands on that ability. It had a wind-up time. The other, more common ability it had was the ability to enhance the user's speed.

To Otto, it didn't matter how minuscule the buff was because he was already slower than them by a large margin. He really wished he had a stigmata of his own.

"He's not moving. How's Ying's condition?"

"I'm fine, if I was unmarked I would have died by now."

Despite her bravo, her words sounded weak, they echoed through pain that she could barely withstand. She was already sitting against the wall and breathing raggedly. The leader made a quick decision.

"Min bring her back."

The attendant with the giant fan strapped to her back immediately complied. Ying was immediately lifted over Min's shoulder with one hand. Her other hand procured a small fan to extinguish the torches in their way. It was a blessing that the tunnels under the river were so damp and cold.

Otto didn't see Min leave. He didn't know how many he was fighting. Was the poisoned one still up? A minute had passed, he was wasting precious time. Kallen was in danger, he glimpsed her struggle to break free, and her injuries were worse than they had thought.

Otto made his way to the edge of the luminescent stones that littered the floor. He collected a few and tossed them back at the attendants. This was a slow method but as long as he could keep up a menacing facade he could make progress. Sure enough, they retreated as he illuminated them with their own stones.

He fired another small knife toward them as he began to pick up his speed. A bit of impatience crept into his mind as he started to kick the stones instead of picking them up. His stride began to accelerate leaving the two remaining attendants unsure of his next move.

"He's not too fast. I'll jump him follow close behind, Xui." The leader commanded. Her short sword glowed more brightly as she accelerated. In an instant, she appeared before Otto. Poised to stab through his chest.

'He's slow.' She thought. 'Was it all an act? But for what? The tunnels are interconnected. Did they already map it out? Whatever, I'll kill him and catch up. I can't believe we were fooled by such a clown.'

Her colleague followed close behind with twin daggers ready. This man had really caused so much trouble despite being so weak. He hadn't even unclenched his fist that held a luminescent stone. She could see the man dodge to the side, at the very least he was able to predict her leader's trajectory but all the leader had to do was change her swing. It was over the man had made a mistake by impatiently kicking the light stones further. Had he stuck to his slow methodic stone-throwing method he would have bought an extra minute to live and think. Now his life was over.

Suddenly a flash of light followed by intense ringing blinded the pair. What had just happened? Their senses were overloaded by the sudden blinding light. The leader couldn't register any of her surroundings before she felt searing heat grace her forehead. She instinctively dodged to the side but it was too late. Her body fell to the floor with an apathetic thud.

Otto quickly aimed another shot at the other stunned attendant but unlike her leader, she hadn't fully committed to attack so she was able to retreat blindly. Otto gritted his teeth as he fired multiple rounds at her retreating figure. His hand was consumed by the flames of his Mimicry.