Chapter 17 Movement

<The Ferry>

A few days later.

The city of Cologne was bustling like usual. Children played and frolicked in the streets, their parents ran errands and bought goods all over the city. Money flowed from hand to hand as even the poorest of people could afford to live safely. The economic capital of Germany was a dream city on the surface. But a closer look would reveal the edge in its people. Decrees, notices that denounced the church were plastered all over the city. Exposing their crimes and diminishing their power even further. Empty space surrounded the preachers in the squares, roads, and alleyways. The church held empty sermons that rang out like the tolls of a nightly bell.

A man with black hair, stern glasses, and poison green eyes, eyed a dock bulletin board with unease. Beside him was a woman with light brown hair and sky blue eyes.

"You shouldn't scowl too much, you'll scare away everyone around us," Kallen said. Squeezing Otto's hand lightly.

"The city knows we're here but they're attacking the church."

To keep a low profile Kallen and Otto held themselves in the blacksmith association until their Ferry arrived. Kurst, who was much too busy to attend further to their needs had not sent anyone to update them on the situation above ground.

"Really what for?"

Kallen followed Otto's line of sight until her eyes rested on the decree of the Schariac family.

"Human trafficking, sale of illegal arms, abduction, experimentation, money laundering."

The list went on, Kallen read the crimes out loud. Each word affirmed her belief that she was on the right path. She stopped reading, unable to continue.

"I've been blind for years."

Otto nodded his head solemnly agreeing with her assessment. Unlike before he didn't try to steer her away from reality.

"The experiments, how are they conducting them?"

"That's probably a personal jab at me. Schicksal doesn't have anyone who can....."

Otto stopped talking when he saw Kallen's expression.

"We need to go check. We can do it right this time. Save the people, it's our duty."

Otto pinched Kallen's cheek.

"Hey!"

"I know that we should go help them."

"Yeah, so why don't-"

"But, the situation will be taken care of by the Schariacs. They will be saved, just not by you. Do you understand?" Otto said slowly.

"I-" Kallen looked away.

"Kallen, please look at me."

Otto gently reached out and cupped Kallen's cheek with his palm. Turning her to face him. His eyes locked with hers and their faces were only centimeters apart.

"You don't have to bear the burden alone. There will always be those that will rise up to help others."

"Do you really believe that?"

"I know it is true," Otto lied.

"Then why don't we stand beside them, I know it would be shameless of us to work with them but if we're fighting for the same thing?"

"We've helped them enough," Otto said, pointing to the decree once more. "Our names are being used to justify a raid that would be sure to come."

"But it's a lie."

Honkai Impact 3rd: Don't Die For Me/ Book 1: PromiseOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara