"Oh, I see. I guess we are sort of in the same boat. How old are you anyways?" I asked even though I didn't really mean to. My mind just was kind of controlling this conversation. I guess part of me was interested in him.

"21... If I remember correctly," he said before finishing his food. Passing the bag back over to me since he was all done. I grabbed it from him and put it to my side so that I would remember to put it back.

"Oh, wow. I am 19," I told him, taking my leftover food and throwing it out the window. I know it was really gross but that was how this town was. There were no garbage trucks or trash cans. So people just pissed and threw their trash outside.

"No wonder you are so sassy. Still aren't out of those teen years," he chuckled leaning back on the wall.

"It's a self defiance thing. I don't mean it. It just sort of comes out," I told him trying to defend myself. I knew I probably wasn't going to win this one either. I just wanted to see and part of me even wanted to keep talking to this boy. With him here at least now things were getting interesting.

"Ha, sure. Whatever you want to call it," he told me before getting up and making his away back over to the bed and sitting on it.

"It is! You don't believe me! Fine!" I told him to face away from him.

"Awe, you look so cute when you are stubborn," Nick said chuckling. Making me actually blush. What the fuck was wrong with me? Blushing? Liking his personality? This was not going to happen. This is not going to be a teen love story about two gay characters that people ship together. This was not about to happen.

"Whatever. I am going to go downstairs before Gabe gets mad at me for not doing anything. In reality, I probably shouldn't be talking about you but I am a rule breaker and you know that," I told him before getting up and heading to the door that leads to the stairwell.

"Believe me Sammy, I have noticed." He said with a chuckle before I went down the stairs.

~

It was almost midnight before I got back from 'work' if you could even call it that. It was more like child labor but whatever. I also did get beat this time around because apparently Timmy decided to tell on me because he is an asshole that had to tell daddy everything.

Once I got back to the corridor I figured Nick would already be fast asleep but he wasn't as I heard him start talking into the dark corridor.

"Hey, what took you so long?" He asked as I got closer to the cells. I was surprised he was so worried about it.

"Busy day I guess," I said, shrugging as I went into my cell and laid on the metal bed. I was so tired but yet I still wanted to talk to him.

"I can't talk to you if you are all the way over there," he whisper-yelled at me. I was so tired I almost didn't care but I ended up getting up anyway. I was starting to let my soft side show and it was not good.

I sat down in front of Lukas then he gasped which made me jump a little. I was tired so my reaction time was kind of off.

"What happened to your shoulder?" Lukas said as he reached through the bars and touched the three scratch marks that ran from my collarbone down to the middle of my bicep.

"I-it's nothing. Really," I told him before cursing myself for stuttering. I almost felt like crying. Wait. Was I actually crying? What? No. No. No. This was not happening. I, Sam Shea, was not going to cry like a little bitch.

But yet... I was. In front of Lukas.

"Woah, Sam. What happened?" Nick said, trying his hardest to comfort me even though there were thick metal bars separating us.

"I don't even know what I am crying about... I am such a bitch," I told him, hiding myself from him. What was I doing? And why?

"No you're not. All of us cry sometimes. It is just human nature," he told me, trying to make me feel better. But it honestly wasn't. I had never been like this before. It was weird and I was most certainly not liking it.

"No. No. No. It's not! I am not supposed to cry. I never have!" I almost was yelling at this point and didn't even realize it. I was so frustrated. I just wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. I had never been so messed up after a beating before. Why now, I had no idea.

"Sammy, look at me. Just breathe. Go get some rest," he told me before he started gently rubbing my lower arm. It felt nice. Feeling someone touch me in not an abusive or sexual way was strange. It was more... if I dare to say... romantic?

Damn, I was such a love sick school girl it was not even funny. But at the same time I was not regretting it for a second. It felt like heaven to be touched and talked to so lovingly. 'I am not getting soft' I told myself over and over and over again but I knew that I couldn't hide it anymore.

I finally managed to get up before making my way to bed. I wiped the tears off of my eyes so that if someone came in they didn't see this side of me. I couldn't look like this in front of them. They would use that against me forever.

"Goodnight Nick." I said to him as I slowly crawled into bed. At that point I just wanted to curl up and die.

"Night, Sammy." He said back. He honestly made me feel better. I don't know what had gotten into me in the past week but whatever it was, it was actually quite nice.

-

I feel like I am going to post a chapter every few months. Lol. I get spurts of energy to write every so often.

But let me know what you think.

- Ryan