Chapter Four - Safety

Start from the beginning

"He already is on my ass." Draco didn't answer this time, instead turning back to his plate.

"So, Lyra," Adaline broke the silence. I turned my head slowly, giving her my best smile. I watched Mattheo's hand tense around his fork.

"Ms. Carrow."

"How are your grades?" she asked.

My eyes widened at her question. "I don't think that's any of your –" Draco kicked my leg under the table. I jolted, giving the boy a hard glare which he returned enthusiastically.

Taking a deep breath, I turned back to the woman. "I had a little speed bump last year due to... problems, but they've always been above average."

"She's amazing at Potions," Mattheo's spoke up nervously. His mother acknowledged him with a nod.

"Are you going to be a teacher Lyra?" she asked.

I shook my head. "I don't know yet."

"You could try being an Auror," Adaline told me. "If your Defence Against the Dark Arts skills are good enough, you could make a powerful ally in the Ministry."

I grit my teeth, swallowing. Voldemort was already on my case. Why not stir the bucket a little?

"Someone told me that once. A Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher I had. He told me that I would make an amazing Auror."

"Oh," – she took a sip of her wine – "and what happened to him? I would think that he would be very wise."

"Mr. Crouch? Oh, well," I paused, picking up my glass. "I killed him."

An audible choke was heard from across the table and I watched Mattheo go red as he spluttered his drink. He began to cough, hitting his chest lightly.

Draco's head had turned quickly, his eyes widened. He stared at me in disbelief as I sipped on my drink lightly.

Lucius had risen a brow at my response and Narcissa was gripping the table as though she was about to pass out.

Adaline had simply smiled, matching my movements and taking a drink of her wine. Her reaction made my skin crawl. "I was told that Mr. Crouch killed himself," she told me.

"In the end, he did, yes." I turned to face her fully. "But I contributed greatly. You see, I gave him the weapon he needed."

"And what weapon was that?"

"Me."

ᵜᵜᵜᵜᵜ

"What the fuck was that?" Draco asked me as we rushed into my bedroom. Mattheo followed, shutting the door behind us.

Dinner had ended promptly after Adaline and mine's conversation, each of us dispersing to our activities. The two boys had followed me to my room.

"I don't know," I told them, running a hand through my hair. "It just came out."

"That didn't just come out. You knew exactly what you were going to say the minute my mother brought up the subject," Mattheo spoke up, stepping towards me.

"I just," I began, trying to find the right words. "I wanted to throw it in her face. That I had done something better than be part of a prophecy." My blood started to boil.

"Why?"

"I don't know!"

Anger coursed through my veins, my mind easily becoming consumed by the emotion. The Obscurus tried its daring escape again.