001. BAD REPUTATION

I ABSOLUTELY hated pep rallies. I would've skipped today's, especially to not hear Jason Carver's voice so early in the morning, but I wanted to support Robin since she was in the band.

I stood next to Dustin, who stood next to Mike Wheeler who was next to Max Mayfield. I'd somehow adopted my little brother's friends as my friends, too. The events of the past few years brought all of us closer. Mike's sister, Nancy, was my age and also my best friend Steve Harrington's ex girlfriend.

Mike and Dustin were arguing about whose girlfriend was cooler while the band played and the cheerleaders jumped around.

"Let's hear it for your Tigers!"

The basketball team had then entered the scene, Lucas Sinclair among them. Jason Carver picked up the microphone and took center stage.

"Good morning Hawkins High!" He announced and everyone cheered. "First off," he continued, "I'd like to thank each and every one of you. Without your support, we wouldn't be here. Give yourselves a big hand."

As everyone clapped and cheered, I rolled my eyes, glancing over at Robin who was already looking at me. She pretended to gag. We both chuckled before returning our attention back to number twelve.

"And of course, of course, I have to give a special shout-out to the best and the prettiest fans of all time, the Tiger Cheer Squad!" A smile spread across Jason's face as he looked at his girlfriend. "Chrissy, I love you, babe." She blew him and kiss and he returned to his speech.

"You know, I think I can speak for all of us when I say it's been a tough year for Hawkins."

"He has no idea," I whispered to Dustin.

"So much loss. And sometimes I wonder, 'How much loss can one community take?' In dark days like this, we need something to believe in. So, last night, when we were down by ten points at half to Christian Academy, I looked at my team, and I said, 'Think of Jack. Think of Melissa. Think of Heather. Think of Billy.'"

I looked over at Max as her eyes danced around the floor. I couldn't imagine what she was going through, losing her brother. I couldn't help it as my thoughts turned to what I would do—what my mom and I would do—if we lost Dustin. I shoved the scenario away and returned my focus to the last part of Jason's speech.

"Tonight...tonight, we're gonna being home the championship trophy! Let's go!"

The basket team jumped around the court as the crowd erupted.

"Tonight?" Mike questioned Dustin.

"How is that possible?" He replied.

I wasn't sure what they were stressed about, I just wanted to get to Robin and muse about that ridiculous speech before class.

————

"SHE IS so cute, I don't think you understand."

"I don't think I do, Robin," I chuckled.

Robin ran a hand down her face, "Oh, right. You're somehow attracted to the scum of the Earth."

"Hey! Not all men are terrible," I replied. "Steve is perfectly fine."

Robin raised her eyebrows at me. "I thought you had a crush on this Eddie guy you've been 'studying' with." She put air quotes around "studying" with her fingers.

"I do not have a crush on him—or Steve." I fiddled with the mac n cheese on my lunch tray. "Besides, you know that already didn't work out."

"Okay, so what you asked Eddie to the movies and he bailed on you an hour before," Robin shrugged. "You guys still study all the time, and not even just anatomy anymore."

I smirked at her, "Oh so you're admitting that 'studying' actually means 'to study'?"

"Well, I'm never going to admit that you're right, so..." she trailed off.

My eyes began to drift towards where Eddie sat at lunch—which happened to be with my little brother. The long haired boy was stood on the table, shouting across the lunchroom at Jason. He danced across the table before plopping back down into his seat.

"That's your man," Robin mused.

I rolled my eyes playfully, "Oh, hush. He's not what everyone thinks he is."

"What? Mean and scary?"

"Yes, exactly."

Robin and I then started talking about work. Her and Steve worked at Family Video while I worked at Radio Shack. We needed to find time between our schedules to go see Pretty in Pink at the theater. That was one thing Robin and I bonded the most over—movies.

Not ten minutes later did Dustin and Mike approach our table.

"Delilah, I need a favor," said Dustin as he plopped down across the table from me.

"What is it, Dustin?"

"Since Lucas has his stupid basketball game tonight, he can't make Hellfire. Therefore we need a replacement for tonight."

Mike added, "It's the last night of Eddie's whole campaign so we can't reschedule."

I raised my eyebrows at the two boys. "You want me to sub in for your 'DnD' club tonight?"

"Please, please, please," Dustin whined. "I hate to say it, I really do, but you're actually really good at the game."

I scoffed, "Of course I am. I'm the one who taught your ass how to play!"

"Will you do it?" Asked Mike eagerly.

"I'm sorry guys, I already promised Steve I'd sit with him at Lucas's stupid game."

Dustin groaned dramatically before turning to Mike. "We'll have to tell Eddie she said no."

"Can't you just find somebody else?" I asked, taking a bite of my mac n cheese.

"Eddie asked about you for some reason, but we can try," replied Mike.

I exchanged a quick glance with Robin. "Wait, Eddie specifically asked you two to ask me?"

The two boys nodded in unison. I looked at Robin again and a grin spread over her face.

"Okay, I'll do it. I'm sure Steve can find a date."

//

"I don't give a damn 'bout
my bad reputation."