Nose Dive

"The uranium plant will be functional earlier than we thought. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in 10 days time. Your mission has been moved up one week." Cyclone stood up in front of the group, causing a nervous rumble to spread throughout the room.

"Sir, no one has successfully flown a low level course yet," Wren called out. The admiral's eyes bore into Wren's, and she sunk a little further back into her seat, suddenly feeling very vulnerable.

"Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on. Captain?" Cyclone stepped out of the way so that Maverick could take his usual place in the front of the room. 

"Phase two is the most difficult part of this mission. It is a strike with a steep dive requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles." Wren looked over at Hangman nervously. Phase one had already been kicking their asses. They needed to step up their game to get ready for phase two. "This phase will require teamwork and precise coordination to succeed and survive."

The screen flipped to a visual of the uranium mine located between two mountains. Maverick continued on about the logistics of the mission as Wren's heart started to beat faster. The inverted dive into the steep incline right after was going to be killer, but the part that really worried Wren was the impact point for the missile. This is what she would be focusing on in the mission. She would need to be on her A game to make this shot. Not only would she need to make the shot, but their wingman would need to as well. Maverick continued with his presentation.

"You'll move into a steep high G climb to avoid hitting the mountain on your way out. You'll me moving directly into SAM range and losing all of your speed at the same time. This is coffin corner."

Hangman cut in after doing some quick mental math in his head.

 "A climb like that, you're pulling at least seven G's"

"Nine," Maverick corrected.

Rooster, concerned, spoke up as well. 

"The stress limit of the F-18's airframe is 7.5 Gs"

"That's the acceptable limit. To survive this mission, you'll go beyond that. This mission will put both you and your plane to the absolute limit. You'll be pulling so hard you'll weigh close to 2,000 pounds. Your skull crushing into your spine, your lungs imploding like an elephant is sitting on your chest. Fighting with everything you have to keep from blacking out."

"Sir is this even achievable?" Phoenix said, voice shaking slightly.

"That will come down to the pilot in the box." 

Wren looked to her left at Hangman who nodded seriously at me, then over at Rooster who was looking out the window at the planes below.

After several attempts to make the run, with no success, Wren was happy to be sitting and listening as Phoenix and Bob, and Coyote and Halo attempted the exercise again

After several attempts to make the run, with no success, Wren was happy to be sitting and listening as Phoenix and Bob, and Coyote and Halo attempted the exercise again. Over the comms Wren heard the group panic as Maverick showed up on their radars. 

"Phoenix it's your call. What are we doing?"

Rooster came up and sat on the bench next to Wren. His leg pressed up against Wren's and he placed his hand on her knee, distracting her from the comms. Rooster noticed her eyes looking down to where his hand rested on her thigh, and he winked in response. Her attention was pulled back to the radio when she heard Maverick, Bob, and Phoenix all shouting at Coyote to wake up.

"Come on, come on, give me tone," Maverick's voice said pleading. Everyone gasped in relief when Coyote's voice came over the radio.

"I'm fine. I'm fine," he said breathing heavily, voice shaking. Their relief was short lived when Maverick's voice sounded again.

"Bird strike, we have a bird strike." 

"Shit, we're hit, I've got to get some air." Rooster's fingers dug into Wren's thigh, and she held her breath waiting for more information to come through the radio. The room was silent as they listened to Phoenix try to get control of the plane again. 

"Eject Phoenix, you can't save it. Eject, eject," Maverick yelled. "Parachutes in the air guys, alert the med bay." 

It wasn't until Maverick confirmed that Phoenix and Bob had ejected that Rooster let up on the pressure on Wren's leg. Rooster stood up and stormed out of the room without another word. Wren debated going after him but decided to head to the med bay to wait for Phoenix and Bob.

 Wren debated going after him but decided to head to the med bay to wait for Phoenix and Bob

Wren watched as her friends were carted in on stretchers. Everyone else had been ushered out to give Phoenix and Bob some privacy, but because Wren was their housemate and had run home to grab them a change of clothes she was allowed to stay.

"Hey hot shot, good flying," she said as they were settling in. 

"Shut up," Phoenix replied with a smirk. 

"I'm sorry I'm kidding, I'm just glad you're both ok." 

Phoenix looked over at Bob who had a slight bruise forming on his forehead. Her smile fell from her face. 

"Shit Bob, I'm sorry. I could've got you killed."

"Hey now, you got us both out of there. It was a bird, there was nothing you could do." 

"Besides, us WSO's know what we're signing up for," Wren chimed in ruffling Bob's hair. He grimaced and tilted his head so that it was out of her reach. 

Maverick came in through the doors, pushing them open with authority. 

"That was a rough situation Phoenix, I'm glad you're ok. Both of you." He took the time to look them both over closely, as if making sure they really were ok for himself. "They're going to keep you here overnight for observation, but they said you'll be good to go in the morning. If you need time, take it.  Don't rush back in if you're not ready." 

Bob looked over at Phoenix and nodded sharply. 

"Don't worry about us Maverick. We'll be ready," Phoenix responded. He nodded again, slowly backing from the room. 

"Well let me know if you change your mind, no shame in taking your time."