4 - THE WILL TO FIND WILL

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Right," Null answered, absentmindedly.

Germany, 1981

"You cold, Null?" Alex asked, after literally hearing her teeth chattering.

"Fine," she replied meekly.

"Uh huh," he said, unconvinced.

"I'm not cold," she said, sharply.

"You just don't want me to be right," he smirked.

"About what?" She growled.

"About how earlier when I said 'you might want to wear something warmer than that,' and you said 'I'll be fine, you absolute ass.'"

"I didn't call you an absolute ass," she objected.

"True, but I'm sure you'll call me that soon enough."

"Why? Have you suddenly developed precognition?"

"No, you fool. Because I'll be rubbing how right I was into your face for the rest of the night, once you put my sweater on."

"I'm not putting it on," Null said.

"Sure, that's fine. At least I'll be warm," Alex stayed sat on the ground smoking a cigarette, waiting in the line for the dance club.

Several more minutes passed, before the breeze already passing through the street picked up.

"I'd like that sweater now," Null mumbled.

"Sorry, what was that?" Alex asked, looking up at her, leaning against the brick of the building.

"I said, 'I'd like that sweater now,'" Null repeated.

"Huh. Well, too bad. I think I'd rather keep it," Alex changed his mind.

"Don't be an absolute fucking ass, Alex."

"Ha! I'm right on two accounts now, not only was I right about the cold, but I was right about the insult as well," he jumped up, securing his sweater around her shoulders tightly, rubbing her arms to speed up the warmth reaching her.

She looked up at him, annoyed but also thankful. Not just for the sweater, but everything he'd done for her in the past couple years. He stopped focusing on rubbing her arms when he heard her teeth stop chattering. The intensity of her gaze made him freeze. "Thank you, Alexandar."

He looked away, bashfully. "It's just a sweater, Null. You don't need to thank me for it."

"I'm not talking about just the sweater," she replied.

He met her eyes again. "Anything for you, Null."

"What are we looking at?" Null asked Jonathan.

"Steve Harrington's house," Jonathan replied sourly.

"And you don't like this Steve character because..."

"He's a douche," he answered shortly.

"Fair enough," Null turned back to watch the party. "Oh, I saw four of them earlier, in the hallway when I talked to you. Which one is Steve?"

Jonathan pointed him out, and Null's eyes widened when she realized it was the guy she winked at.

"What's wrong?" Jonathan picked up on her tense stance.

"He and his friends were staring at me earlier, and I don't know, I just winked at him," Null blurt out.

Jonathan groaned. "Oh god."