𝒊. there was her, and there was after

❛ ── chapter one
THERE WAS HER, AND THERE WAS AFTER. ❜

 ❜

          𝐊𝐀𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐀𝐄-𝐌𝐎𝐎 𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑𝐒 the night his parents passed in vivid flashes. They were more of a slideshow than properly strung together memories, if he was being fairly honest.

          There was rain, lots of it. His shoes were soaked, his clothes were soaked, and his hair clung to his face. It was everywhere around him, clouding his vision and closed in on his breathing. He was trapped, and the heavy downpour only proved it would be long before he ever got out.

          Then there were the people. His grandpa beside him was the only person he felt safe with in the sea of unknown adults. Camera flashes, people shoving, and chattering that spoke over the bellowing storm seemed ignorant to the young boy who had recently lost his parents.

          Then there's the car. Overturned and lifeless, Tae-Moo had only caught a glimpse of it before his grandpa covered his little innocent doe eyes with his calloused and wrinkled hands. But it was of no use, the image was already ingrained in his head, ready to sting at command.

          And in the midst of it all, there was her. Under an umbrella sheltered away from the rain. A big coat wrapped around her as boots kept the feet dry, her hair was neatly tucked behind her ears and tears wallow in her eyes.

          It's taking every bone in her body to not run over and encase him in a hug, to not lend him her warmth and words of comfort. He knows that she knows what he needs right now, and the heels of her feet rock back and fourth in anticipation to fulfill it.

          But the sight of her makes him ball out his eyes, his lovely Hwa Young was safe and unscathed. His world had crumbled in the span of one night, and God forbid anything would happen to her too. If not, Kang Tae-Moo was confident he'll go crazy.

          Hwa Young takes off into a sprint regardless of the protests of her parents, they try to hold her back from the rain but she's too small and quick to stop. When she's close enough to him, she pounces on the boy and the two topple onto the ground. Hwa Young encases Tae-Moo in a tight hug and the rhythm of their cries blend together, she hears her parents catch up behind her but it didn't matter.

          He reciprocates the hug and stay like that until they drown out the noise of their surroundings, their breaths following each other's heartbeat.

          The two don't exchange any words, the warmth of her skin and her breath was enough to ground him. To tell him that besides what happened, she was still here. And that she would always be there for him.