Date 4

“Christmas is annoying,”

“You hate everything.” Xichen threw a holiday mint at Jiang Cheng, who squawked.

He pelted his neighbor back with the same mint. “You don’t even celebrate Christmas! You’re not Christian!”

“Ah! But I embrace any holiday where getting drunk with good people is part of tradition! Though alcohol is forbidden in my house!”

“That’s a lot of occasions for you. I didn’t know there were that many holidays,” Jiang Cheng retorted, sitting back in the kitchen chair, putting his feet up on the table ,Louis on his lap.

Xichen smacked him lightly. “Don’t do that, it’s rude!” He pointed to his socked feet, commanding they go to the floor, “And I want to celebrate American Christmas!”

A silver-purpled eye gazed lazily in his direction, “You don’t know how much trouble Christmas is,”

“Yes! That’s why I want it!”

“Well, here is not where you’re gonna see it, lovely Xichen, and I'm not that fucking rich like u to buy expensive gifts”

“What?” Xichen looked like that entire world just crushed ...also a lost puppy look that Jiang definitely hates.

Jiang Cheng glared at him, “Fine, I’ll get you a gift. I’m not that poor,”

Xichen cheered and even louis perked up at that, “Christmas is still a few weeks away, so there are other Christmas things to do in the meantime?”

Xichen shoved his hands in the pockets of his hoodie, “I’ll take you to see the lights if you want, it's your first Christmas here afterall.”

"Are you asking me out on a date??" Xichen wriggled his eyes brows.

"Think whatever you want "

They went to city hall. Jiang Cheng kept his hands in his pockets, huddled up in his scarf. He wasn’t a fan of the cold either, but Xicheng's enthusiasm kept him motivated. The other’s bright personality. If only a warm heart could warm his fingers…

Xichen was chattering about Christmas in his hometown, and he was listening intently, or at least to the best of his ability. It's a year long practice ,all credit goes to Wei Wuxian of course.

“Family…. My brother and Dating…. And.. I’ll take you someday!” He was talking so much he stumbled over the words. Jiang Cheng smiled to himself.  It's amusing to see the ever composed Lan Xichen to behave like a five year old.

“Excuse me, what?” Xichen was sure there was some kind misunderstanding issue here since Xichen is not really a fan of sweets unlike him, “You eat strawberry shortcake on Christmas? Are you sure that’s right?”

“Yes, it is all true! Why would I lie to you?”

“Do you want to get shortcake then? I’m sure we can find a café. Let’s get some hot chocolate too. It’s frigid out here,”

…………………………

The café was warm and loud and smelled of peppermint.

…………………………..

The city was loud, but their apartment was louder due to Xichen's and his pets excitement. They hung their coats up at the door and went inside.

Jiang Cheng was relaxed and leaning against the couch. Thin body chilly from the brisk wind. Xichen nudged him, “Will you need to be sleeping in my bed tonight to warm up? You can put your cold feet on me,”

Jiang Cheng snorted, “You wish. I’m sorry honey, I’m not that easy,”

“I know you are not ‘easy’, that why we go on a Christmas date,” Xichen chuckled, “And you accepted, but that doesn’t mean I am backing off

“Honey? When did we go on a date,”

“Ah- Just now? I told you and u agreed. I thought…” Xichen was blushing furiously,

“Ah…. I said to think whatever you want. Also then this is gonna be cutted off from ur dates ." replied Jiang Cheng .

Xichen looked at the ground, which Jiang Cheng was thankful for. Maybe the other couldn’t tell how flustered he was getting too. The tips of his ears were red, it was probably the cold.

Xichen broke the silence. It was hard to form words, “Can I...Can I...kiss you?"

Jiang Cheng jerked up at the sudden request.

“I ....I...,” his voice wavered,

“Would you let me?" Xichen asked again.

Jiang cheng's heart was pounding. He hadn’t let himself hope for this. He can see from the corner of his eyes that Xichen leaned forward, then stopped.

Xichen didn’t think he’d ever hesitated a kiss before, not that he kissed anyone before. Was this too forward? Was this how it was supposed to be? Just do it anyway.

Xichen completed the distance with a nervous peck on the lips. Short, cute, unsure…. Jiang Cheng couldn’t help but smile.

“Is that all you wanted?” Jiang Cheng teased, honey voiced. He hoped he was being smooth, but he didn’t feel smooth at the moment. His whole body was shaking. He was going to make a misstep and this would all slip away, or he would wake up from this dream and Xichen would be gone.

Xichen was so hesitant. “Do you want more?”

Jiang Cheng stared at him with big doe eyes, frozen. “I-I…” He nodded and let Xichen steer the kiss again.

The clammy hand he had just annoyed cupped his cheek and played with his hair.

Soft lips… was it rude to keep his eyes open during a kiss?

“You’ve kissed me before just now. It’s not so bad,”  Xichen smiled down at him, looking a little less than impeccable, like he couldn’t believe what he was doing, “Do you want to do it again?” Asking seemed to be as much for him as Jiang Cheng.

Jiang Cheng did something bet nodding and shaking his head. Neither a yes or a no. And Xichen kissed him again, longer this time and with confidence. Sweeter. He gripped the shorter man’s sweater, pulling him closer.

Jiang cheng's heart beat fast. These were new feelings. He is falling deep he guessed that already.

Xichen broke the kiss murmuring, “You should do what feels right,” perhaps by understanding Jiang cheng's inner turmoil.

Jiang Cheng laughed into his neck. “I don’t know, this doesn’t feel real,”

“Then you should kiss me again until you believe it,”

………………..