Chapter 28: On Love Lane Part 3

Start from the beginning

"Great! Now that's the Y/N I know! Right then, we should begin. See that path over there? That will serve as our starting point, and from there we will run for a couple of laps around the park. First one to finish wins the race. There's nothing complicated about that, right?"

"Yeah. Now let's go."

The two of you walked towards the start of the path. Once there, you both did a few stretches and warm ups to get yourselves ready. After making sure that you're all set, you and Yujin stood next to each other, with both of you ready to give it your all.

A man who happened to pass by volunteered to be your "official", and at his signal, the race had begun.

For the first part of the race, you felt surprised that you are able to run side by side against Yujin, and it was clear that she is not going easy on you when it comes to her pacing.

You then give her a smile while feeling happy that you're doing better than you expected, with you hoping that you'll be able to keep it up all the way to the finish line.

But alas, you forgot the one thing that athletes have more than an ordinary person does, and that was stamina.

While you were doing good at the start of the race, maintaining that speed for a great amount of time was something that you were just incapable of doing, unlike her.

Towards the end of the first lap, you began to experience signs of fatigue, as your pace became much slower compared to when you started.

In comparison, Yujin simply continued running at a steady speed, with her showing no signs of exhaustion. From there, you understood that you really had no chance to win, regardless of how you feel about it.

Still, that didn't stop you from doing the only thing that you can do for yourself now, and that is to finish the race no matter the outcome.

It's the least you can do to partially keep your word for yourself and to Yujin as well. Sure enough, that decision of yours had indeed impressed her.

"Huh....I guess I.....really had no chance.....against you.....Yujin-ah..." You said while panting, as Yujin helped you take a seat on the bench to rest.

"What did you expect, Y/N? I always train every day after school, so winning against you in a race is easy. Don't forget, I'm a champion now." She boasted, making you laugh.

"Haha, that is true. Well, at least I did my best, even though I lost against you. I have no regrets."

"That you did. But you know, you actually ran faster than I expected, which surprised me."

"Did I really?"

"Yes, and that's why you should feel happy for yourself that you were able to. If I will compare how you did today to my own lap times when I first began to train as a member of the track team, it's nearly similar. All you need to do is to follow my own training regimen, and you'll get better for sure. What do you say?"

"Hmm, that's an interesting suggestion. I still don't believe that I'm cut out for being a full-time athlete like you, but I guess following your routine is a good idea. Thanks for the advice, Yujin."

"No thanks needed. I'm just happy that you're interested in it. Well, I think now's a good time for us to find a perfect spot to have our lunch later this afternoon. Shall we?"