Experience Interrupted

Start from the beginning

"She was worried about our hold on to the power structure here," Jacques said easily, falling into step with Manon. The ladies sat onto the couches before their men sat beside them. "I can't say I don't understand her reticence."

"I would hardly call this a peaceful transfer of power," Cy agreed, his tone a bit grave. So different from his normal tone. "Technically, the law is on your side and neither of you did anything wrong. You're doing everything right. But Gascony is a very traditional country and the changes you're trying to bring are so different. We've heard about the unrest even in Lloegyr."

"It sounds worse than it is," Manon said, sighing. "The protesters are loud, but they don't even represent the majority of the people."

"That's hardly the point when they're beating at your gates. And we heard that Firmin got away. A high ranking military man like that might have very well been able to steal the loyalty of the military away from you. If you lose the populace and the military, you might as well kiss your life goodbye. You won't be able to retain your power."

Jacques grinned. "I'm well aware. And it's a good thing that General Emile is in charge. His loyalty to Manon is sworn and proven. He keeps the military in line."

"Oh, Emile!" Felicie perked up, clapping her hands together. "I'm so happy for him."

"That is good news," Cy nodded along. "I didn't realize you had such a trustworthy replacement for Firmin. Eleonore will rest easier, knowing that is the case."

"We're also taking steps to expand the military," Manon continued. "To include more of our own people. Loyalists we know are devoted to our cause and goals. The recruitment drive has already begun and the numbers look promising."

"My people are loyal and strong," Jacques said, pride filling his voice. "They are willing to fight for me, even if it is only a counter to the protesters. They will make good soldiers and city guard and their numbers will strengthen us."

"Even more good news," Cy nodded in approval. "I can't lie, I was a bit concerned when I heard your plan of taking over here. You two are both so young, and Manon you are considered an enemy of the country. I didn't know how well this would go. And I know that Eleonore shared my concerns. That's why she wanted to wait."

"I hope we've proven our competency thus far then."

"Your competency yes, but she is still concerned." He held up a hand to block of the words Manon was about to speak. "She has faith you will be a good queen, Manon. She still remembers you from your last visit. Her worry was originally about the stability of your reign. Now, she's worried about you still not being pregnant, Manon."

The seeming suddenness of the change in topic made her start in surprise. "What?'

Cy fixed her with a serious stare. "Don't act surprised. One of the most important duties you two have is to produce an heir. Yet, here we are, months into your marriage, and no whisper of a pregnancy. Are you having issues conceiving, Manon? Have you not seen a physician?"

Jacques cleared his throat awkwardly. "We're well aware of what we need to do, Cy. It's just a bit more difficult in practice."

"Oh, are you the problem?" Cy turned his attention to him. "If you can't be aroused by Manon, do whatever you need to in order to become so. Turn her around, imagine someone else, bring in someone else to get you excited if you have to."

"Cy!" Manon's face burned at his complete lack of propriety. She didn't consider herself a prude, but to just say such things outright...

"This is serious," he said, staring between them, no trace of a grin on his face. "Manon, you hold the right to rule, and Jacques you hold the people's loyalty. Your marriage is not one of choice or desire. I'm not going to pretend that it is. But you do have this duty to complete and you have to complete it sooner rather than later. An heir will secure your power like nothing else will. The more of them, the better, in fact. Whatever you have to do, Jacques, I don't care if you have to bring in another man, get your soldier marching and shooting. That's the main thing Eleonore was waiting for and when it didn't happen, I had to convince her to let me come anyway."