Chapter 32 (Last)

Start from the beginning

(Y/n) smiled up at me bitterly. "It's fine." She whispered. "It doesn't matter."

"What do you mean it's fine? This is not fucking fine!" I brushed her strands away from her face and rocked her in my arms.

Come on! Wake up!

"It's..." She coughed up blood, barely able to speak due to her bleeding wound she was holding onto with her palm. "It's really fine."

Her blood drenched my clothes even more. If she's going to lose blood in this pace, she will die. "How can you say that? Baby I-"

She weakly raised her finger in front of her lips to silence me. "The thing I wanted to s-say... Remember?"

"We don't have time to waste. I need to take you to a doctor first. I promise we can speak after that." I gently kept on stroking her cheeks and I wanted to stand up from the ground with her when she stopped me.

"Even if that doctor heals my wound, he wouldn't be able to save me. I would die in a short amount of time anyway." The bitter smile she showed me ached my heart.

She would die in a short amount of time anyway... What?

"Baby don't do this to me. What the hell are you talking about? There's no time for jokes! You're going to lose too much blood!" I tried to knock some sense in her head, but my words found deaf ears and she shook her head.

"I have cancer." She choked out.

Once again my eyes widened. This must be a very bad joke. And all of this is not happening to me.

"Huh? What?" My breath got caught in my throat. It felt so dry I could barely speak.

I just got her back after so long and this is what greets me? She was finally between my arms. I could finally hold her. Kiss her... And she gets a bullet in herself, but that's not enough... now she says she has cancer. What have I done to deserve this? I always loved her and never betrayed her. I took care of her and I always made sure to show my love for her.

Then she told me she got to know about this a few weeks before she left that letter for me. Everything made sense... The continuous hiding in the bathroom, the mysterious coughing, the pills... She said that those are her contraceptive pills and I believed it. How could I be so blind? How come I didn't suspect anything? How could I be such a fool not to notice that she was silently screaming for help?

Everything else about this fake break up was mere a coincidence. Our arguments that is. She confirmed that too. The breakup didn't even cross her mind. She was sad that we couldn't spend that much time together of course, but this wouldn't have been a reason for her to end our relationship.

"When you were away on missions, I visited a doctor to know the details about my cancer. It turned out I barely have a few weeks left since it attacked my lungs and then my brain. He said it's a miracle I'm still alive." She smiled as if everything was alright. "Maybe I was just waiting for you to tell you the truth. Maybe that gave me strength."

"Why? Why didn't you tell m-"

Her heavy coughing cut me off. It was the same chain of coughing which I always heard coming from the bathroom. Blood came out of her mouth again.

I shifted in my position and pulled her closer to myself, resting my forehead on her's. She weakly caught my hand which held her face. "I didn't tell you because I didn't want to be a burden." She blurted out.

"What are you saying again? You would never be a burden. You're my love, my everything." I slowly shook my head. "Don't leave me, please." I begged.

"I'm so sorry... For everything... You have no idea how hard it was to lie to you I don't love you anymore. You know I didn't mean it, right?" For now, she was weeping. Her tears washing away the blood from her face.