Three

(ep 1 pt 3)

I caught a ride with Nancy to the school . Mike and Dustin had their campaign. They found Erica as a substitute for Dustin and Nancy was not pleased that she had to fit Dustin and Erica in the back seat of her car.

I walked in and trailed behind Mike, Dustin and Erica with a bag of chips, two magazines and a can of Coke. I did not know how long this was going to take but as long as Mike was home by nine, mom said she would pay me five bucks.

I could hear the cheers in the gymnasium as we walked into the room they used for campaigns.

Eddie took one look at Erica before sighing. "Absolutely not."

"You asked for a sub. We delivered," Dustin argued.

"This is Hellfire club. Not the Babysitting club," Eddie counter-argued.

"Well, I'm eleven, you long-haired freak," Erica replied smugly.

"My, my, the child speaks," Eddie said in wonder.

I sat in the corner eating chips and watching this go down like a beloved family sit-com.

"So, what's your name child?" Eddie asked her.

"Erica Sinclair," She responded blandly.

Eddie laughed. "So this is SInclairs infamous sister."

"He's sharp," Erica rolled her eyes at Dustin and Mike.

"What's your class and level? Level one dwarf?" Eddie smirked.

"My name is Lady Applejack. And I'm a chaotic good half-elf rogue, level 14. And I will sneak behind any monster you throw my way and stab them in the back with my poison-soaked kukri. And I will smile as I watch them die a slow, agonizing death. So, we gonna do this or we gonna keep chitchatting like this is your mommy's book club?"

Everyone stood in silence while I crunched on my chips waiting for something interesting to happen.

Eddie stared at Erica for a good ten seconds before sticking out his hand. "Welcome to Hellfire."

I pretty much zoned out on them as I read my magazine about my favorite bands.

"Time out! Time out!" Someone yelled so loud that I dropped my chips.

They all huddled together near my corner. "Guys I hate to say this but we've got to flee."

"I concur."

"Didn't we just agree to the death?" Erica asked.

"That wasn't literal."

"Vecna just decimated us. We can't kill him with two players."

"You too? He only has 15 hit points left. Don't be pussies," Dustin argued.

"Pussies? Really? 'Cause we're not delusional?" Gareth said.

"Delusional? How about not being cowards?" Erica offered.

Eddie interrupted to try and throw their decision off course. I didn't care to listen to him.

"One sec," Dustin said and they huddled together again

"It's risky as hell. But you're the ones on the battlefield. So it's your call

"What do you say, Lady Applejack?" Dustin questioned

"You really gotta ask?" Erica replied.

"I say you should do it," I whispered to them with a thumbs up.

Dustin and I looked at each other. I nodded at him encouragingly.

"Screw it. Let's kill that son-of-a-bitch," He announced.

"The chances of success are 20 to one."

"Never tell me the odds. Give me the D20," Dustin said confidently. He threw the dice.

"That's a miss!" Eddie yelled. Now I was on my feet behind Mike watching this all go down. My

Erica shook the die while Gareth and Dustin pleaded for her to roll it. We all bent over the table to see what the number rolled was.

"Crit hit," Erica screamed. They all started jumping and cheering.

I gave a thumbs up to Mike and Dustin. Eddie smiled and did a small bow over the table.

He looked over towards me and gave me a wink.

We all were getting ready to leave. It was almost nine. Eddie said he was going to stay behind to clean up so we said goodbye.

I walked outside first because the guys and Erica were still riding on their high from the big win.

The basketball game had ended and I saw Lucas walking with the rest of the team. I waved at him and he smiled at me but then turned and saw the Hellfire club. His happiness vanished and almost looked betrayed. Then one of his teammates clapped him on the back and said something to him. He glanced my way one more time before walking with the team.

"Michael Wheeler, you screwed up big time with Lucas," I grabbed his arm and dragged him towards the car where Nancy was waiting.

"It's not my fault he wanted to go to the stupid game," Mike yelped as I pushed him into the car.

Erica went home with Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair.

Dustin and Mike were talking in the back seat, still in disbelief.

"So, how was the game?" I asked Nancy.

"It was amazing. Lucas made the winning shot just as the buzzer went off. Fred and I made a bet and he owes me five dollars. I knew my headline would win," Nancy grinned.

We dropped Dustin off and made it home just minutes before it was nine.

"Good Job Charlie," My mom slid me five dollars.

Mike took a shower and then went to sleep.

Nancy went to sleep while talking to herself about how Jonathan was so busy to not visit her.

I waited for Mike to get out of the shower but it felt like he took forever. When I got in the shower, I calmed down a bit. After each day I liked to play the events I did over in my head.

All I could think about was Eddie. He wasn't as bad as most people made him out to be.

Suddenly, the lights started flickering but then stopped and I got goosebumps on the back of my neck. I ignored it. Probably the lightbulbs dying.

I slipped into bed and closed my eyes, hoping tonight would have no nightmares and just pure dreams of sweet bliss.