26. between sinners and saints

Beginne am Anfang

       "Remember... anyone that has the chance to get as close to Santos as possible, don't hesitate to kill him," Tomas reminded.

       We all nodded as we entered the madhouse. We shot the guards standing nearby down before running up and down the halls looking for our main target.

       The enemies began to throw smoke bombs but we pulled out the masks that we had prepared. We walked through the fog with ease and shot down anyone standing in our path.

       "Call for backup! Call for backu-" the man's voice was cut short by Esmeralda's gun. She blew out the smoke from her gun and smirk as she threw me a wink.

       I dropped my first gun as the bullets ran out and slipped my spare one out of my holster. I shot down a few more soldiers as I made my way up the stairs.

       "I have got you puttana (whore)," I was pressed on to the staircase by one of Santos' men. I looked down and found that it was a long way down.

       As I looked back I was shocked at who my attacker was.

       "A-Andre?" I gasped and the man simply chuckled.

       Andre Dubois was the brother of my closest friend, Louis Dubois, the man Dante had killed. His death was the reason I left Dante. Dante's jealous attitude led him to kill my dearest friend, someone I viewed as family.

       "Your boyfriend took my brother and now I will take your life," he growled.

        "No," I begged but he did not seem to care. "You're... supposed... t-to be on our side."

       Andre grinned evilly. "We were never on your side. We were just there to kill you."

       "N-No," I shook my head not wanting to believe his words. Everything fell into place as I realized the real reason Dante had killed Louis.

       His hands wrapped around my neck tightly and I tried my best to push him off but it was to no vain. I sneaked my hand toward my pocket knife and slipped it out. In a quick motion, I used all the strength I had left and dug the sharp knife into the Andre's shoulder blade.

       The air began to make its way into my lungs as I sucked in a deep breathe and pushed him off of me. He fell over the balcony, knocking out the fire lantern on it. His body made a loud thud as he fell onto the first floor where the flames of the lantern consumed him and everything around him.

       "Fuck," I whispered as I picked up my gun and continued my way through the mansion.

       "Samantha!" I turned to Alessandra who was coughing uncontrollably from the smoke. "We have to leave now! Santos' men are going to blow this place up."

       "Fucking hell," I muttered as I ran towards her. We both rushed out of the mansion before the building erupted into flames.

"Did everyone make it out?" Alessandra asked as she looked around. A few of our men were missing and we knew they were probably killed.

Vincenzo, Tomas and Derek all were out of the flames without a scratch. Esmeralda trudged over to us with a hand over her bleeding abdomen.

"We must take our Doña to the hospital," her man said and we nodded allowing them to retreat.

"Where are the Sokolovs?" Vincenzo asked.

We all shrugged not knowing where the Russian couple had gone or if they were still alive.

"We did not hear from them after we all separated," Derek replied.

"Do you think they fled?" Tomas mused.