Post-Assembly Surprise

ابدأ من البداية

"Alam mo naman mahina ako pag biyahe pinag-uusapan, eh.", Leni pouted.

Loren jumped into the conversation. "Speaking of parliament, did you know that this restaurant used to be an old courthouse? They say everything in the menu is locally sourced from small businesses and suppliers. Galing, no?"

There Loren went another of her infodumps - long, rambling monologues about anything she could think of - spiels Pia missed listening to, although she doesn't know if it's because she learns something new every time or if she just misses listening to her voice.

The conversation went on once the food was served. At one point during the meal, Loren piped up with another question. "Leni, do you think Risa's awake by this time?"

Leni checked her watch. "Hmm, 2am na sa Manila. She might be...try ko tawagan sa FaceTime."

After a couple of minutes, Leni answered her phone. "Hi, Mahal! Gising ka pa?"

"Alive na alive pa.", Risa's voice giggled from the other side.

"Hulaan mo kung sino kasama ko ngayon."

Not even five seconds after, Risa answered. "Si Ate Lo ba yan? That voice is very familiar."

Leni then panned her camera to Pia beside her, who waved at Risa's face on video, then to Loren, who gave Risa a flying kiss.

Risa formed a heart with both hands. "Ate Loooooo, miss na kita."

"How's life as the second female majority floor leader and first in over 25 years?", Loren asked.

"Regina, talagang isiningit ang sarili?", Pia said while stuffing herself with some roe.

"Manahimik ka, Pilar.", Loren quipped before making a kissy face. "Sabihin mo lang miss mo na ako."

"Ay, hindi naman.", Pia rolled her eyes. "What gave you that idea?"

Leni propped her phone on one of the napkin stands while giggling with Risa at the exchange between Pia and Loren.

"Sabi ng umiiyak pag napapadaan sa office ni Loren.", Leni answered back while taking a forkful of pasta.

Risa took a swig of water on video. "Oh my God, tapos ako pa talaga sabihan niyo na marupok porket Pisces ako."

Animated conversations continued for a while until Risa dropped off for bed.

Loren, Pia, and Leni exited the Sessions Arts Club and enjoyed the fresh air for a bit. It was Leni's turn to ask about the next steps. "Loren, malapit lang ung flat mo dito, no?"

"Yeah, just a 5-minute walk.", Loren answered.

Without thinking, Pia said something she never thought she would have the courage to say, especially in front of other people. "Do you want me to walk you home?"

Loren stared at her with her mouth agape before nodding. "Yeah, sure. I would love that."

"Shit, what did I get myself into?"

Leni broke the silence to wave her goodbye before heading to another direction. "Sige, balik nako sa hotel. Ingat kayo!"

Pia and Loren went the opposite way and strolled under the city lights. Neither of them spoke a word, but it was the comfortable type of silence shared with someone one knows for as long as they do.

At some point during the walk, Loren reached out her hand to Pia's and gazed into Pia's eyes. Pia responded with a nod and linked her fingers with Loren the same way they used to do under the table during committee hearings back in the old days.

Neither of them let go of each other until they reached the entrance to Loren's flat. Pia wanted to hold her just a bit longer, but alas it was time to head back to the hotel.

"Happy to be able to see you again after so long, Pilar.", Loren said, linking her pinky finger with Pia's

"Me too, Regina.", Pia replied.

Their gazes lingered for longer than expected before Loren reached up to kiss Pia's lips. The kiss felt both too short and too long at the same time, at least in Pia's opinion.

"Nasa bahay ako buong araw bukas.", Loren said. "Di nga lang ako sure kung gaano ka-puno ang schedule mo."

It's Pia's chance - it's either now or never. "I'll come over first thing in the morning. Can just ask Leni to fill in for me."

Loren raised her eyebrows. "Playing hooky now? Pilar, this isn't you."

A cheeky smile emanated from Pia's face. "Nothing wrong with skipping occasionally."

The two of them shared a laugh before going their separate ways. This time, Pia couldn't stop smiling no matter how hard she tried. "Better make the rest of my time in London count."