Chapter 36: Forgive Me

Start from the beginning

Raising his head to look me in the eyes he continued. "I, Prince Marcus, crown prince of the great kingdom of Awa apologize for all the pain and suffering I have unintentionally caused you over the past month. I ask that you forgive me for being reckless in my endeavor to end my engagement with your sister. Forgive me for being selfish and wanting you to myself. Forgive me for keeping you in the dark. I do not hope to be forgiven but I promise you from this day forth I will give you no chance to worry or fret. There will be no secrets between us. You will never be kept in the dark. I ask that you trust me and let me carry your burdens. To be your closest confidant and your shoulder to cry on when you are sad."

The sincerity in his eyes as he apologized amazed me. His words were as sweet as honey and as genuine as they could come.

When I asked for an apology, I never expected he would go to such extreme lengths to do so. All I wanted was a simple sorry.

"Thank you for the apology, your majesty. Please stand." I said while trying to help him stand. The blush on my cheeks darkened as my eyes darted across the room, unable to hold his gaze.

Chuckling at my discomfort he gave my hand a small squeeze. "I meant every word I said. I am truly sorry for all that has happened." I nodded in understanding before I released my hand from his hold and returned to my seat.

-----

Releasing a shaky breath, I grabbed the table to stop myself from falling over. His words left me stunned at the reason it all began. The truth of that day shook me to the core of my being. What I had thought was an impulsive decision made recently had been in motion long before I knew it was happening.

A bitter laugh escaped my lips as I refused to accept his version of the truth.

"You're lying." I gritted out. Hiding the broken and pathetic pieces of me that wanted to defend the sister locked away in a prison cell. A useless act to convince me that the humiliation I faced as the kingdom dragged my name through the ground had not been part of my sister's plan. That she was not aware I would face the heat of her past actions. That she was forced into being the villain.

"Please tell me it is a lie," I whispered more to myself. A part of me still desperately wanted to believe she was innocent. That they both were.

"Sadly, it is the truth. Your sister had made an attempt on my life during our return to the kingdom." He tiredly sighed.

"I know this information is hard for you to believe. But there is no easy way for me to explain what happened. The truth no matter how cruel and painful it may be will remain the same. It can't be changed

"I knew the moment I saw the crazed look in her eyes that she was not fine. But to want to kill you before you're married seems a bit unbelievable. Why would she kill you if she wanted to be Queen? Wouldn't it have been better to carry out her plans after she was crowned queen and gained better access to the kingdom? Leaving her as the sole ruler." I said.

"I believe only your sister can answer that question."

"You said she attempted to take your life. How did she manage that without being caught?"

"I do not know when it happened. It was until I was laying against the seat of the car losing consciousness that I knew the symptoms were like that of poisoning. Realizing that I was poison I tilted my head to your sister to get her help when I discovered the pleasing smile on her lips as she watched me struggle to breathe. Seeing my eyes begin to close I felt her lean in and whispered in my ear 'The poison is taking effect faster than I anticipated. What a pleasant surprise.' Before she pretended to call for help. And the next time I opened my eyes we had made it back to the palace and Scarlet was crying in my mother's arms while I pretended, I knew nothing of what happened." His jaw tightened. Angry eyes bore into mine. His anger was directed at the memory of what happened.