Chapter 8: The Misunderstanding

Start from the beginning

"You're as cold as death. What's happened to you?" Victoria asked. "Your dress."

"Well, first I have to confess something." She turned to Victor. "Victor, I'm sorry but I can't marry you. I thought I would be alright with the arranged marriage, but I've come to realize that I can only see you as a friend, and I know you feel the same way."

Victor looked down guiltily.

"I saw the way the two of you were looking at each other during the rehearsal. Victoria, I think you found the man that you had always dreamed of finding." (Y/n) said placing a hand on her sister's.

"And I'm glad you two have found each other because I believe I also may have found someone."

Victoria gasped happily. "Oh, (Y/n) that's wonderful! What's he like?"

"His name is Emile. He's sweet and kind and funny and handsome and he makes me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world." (Y/n) gushed.

"That's so sweet! Where is he from?"

"Well, that's the other thing. Um...he's kind of...a corpse."

"What?" Victor and Victoria asked.

"When I was in the woods, I was practicing my vows and I accidentally married a corpse." She explained.

"Um...did you perhaps hit your head while you were in the forest Miss (Y/n)?" Victor asked.

"No. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm still not sure if I believe it myself, but I am married to him, and I can prove it. He's waiting in the forest. I'd like you to meet him."

"Of course, (Y/n), we'd love to. Right Victor?" Victoria asked.

"Well, I suppose there's no harm in taking a look." Victor said.

"Oh, thank you." (Y/n) hugged her sister and then hugged Victor as well.

Suddenly, the balcony doors blew open and Emile stepped into the room.

"My dearest, I just wanted to meet -!" Emile paused when he saw that Victor and (Y/n) were still locked in an embrace.

Victor and (Y/n) immediately sprung apart and Emile pulled (Y/n) to him by her waist and glared at Victor. "Darling, who's this?"

"Who is he?" Victor asked in surprise.

"I'm her husband." He smugly held out his hand and showed them the ring.

"(Y/n)?" Victoria looked at her sister in shock.

"See? I told you he was dead." (Y/n) shrugged.

Emile looked between (Y/n) and Victor and became very angry.

(Y/n) realized what he might be thinking and tried to explain. "Wait, wait, Emile! This isn't what you think!"

"Hopscotch." He whispered.

Emile grabbed (Y/n) by the waist and held her tightly to his chest.

"No! Wait, please!"

But it was too late. Emile and (Y/n) were already gone.

...

They two appeared in Elder Gutknecht's room and Emile was furious.

"You lied to me! Just to get back to that other man!" He yelled.

"Well, technically you're the other man." (Y/n) told him.

"No! You're married to me! He's the other man!" Emile whimpered.

"He's got a point." Elder Gutknecht said.

"And I thought-and I thought this was all going so well." He whined and his eye popped out and rolled onto the floor.

(Y/n) picked it up and held it in her hands.

"It's my eye isn't it?" He accused.

"No, your eye is...lovely." (Y/n) said, handing it back to him.

"Why did you ask me to marry you if you wanted him instead?" He asked

"Well, I didn't know I was asking to marry you when I was reciting my vows." (Y/n) told him.

"Oh, I see. You weren't saying them for me, you were saying them for him, weren't you?" He said angrily.

"Well, yes...but..."

"I can't believe I was so stupid!" Emile snapped.

"Emile wait, please listen!" (Y/n) pleaded.

"I think I've heard enough." He huffed, stomping out of the tower.

(Y/n) watched him go sadly, feeling guilty. She never meant to hurt his feelings. She needed to tell him that she doesn't love Victor, that she wants to be with him instead.

——————————💀——————————