𝟬𝟮𝟲 sharks in the water

Começar do início

Besides, she thinks to herself, boys are gross.

"You really scared us back there," Dustin tells Alex, quietly.

"Yeah," Mike agrees.

"I'm sorry," Alex replies softly.

"Hey, no, don't apologize," Lucas tells her.  "We were just worried, that's all.  I'm glad you're okay."

Alex smiles.  "Thank you, guys.  For being there.  I know I'm not the easiest person to be friends with.  It means a lot to me."

"We wouldn't have it any other way," Lucas replies fondly.

Alex feels her heart flutter in her chest.  Friendship is warm like the sun.  Alex doesn't think that she would have grown as much as she did without them by her side.  Despite everything that's happened, she doesn't think that she wants to be anywhere else.  For once, out of all the universes she could be born in, she's glad that it's this one.  She knows that she lived through all the past horrors just to get to this moment of peace, surrounded by people who care just as much about her as she cares about them.  It's then that she knows that she would do anything for them.

She only hopes that they'll live through the night. 

"How are you doin', El?" Alex asks softly.

"Tired," El answers.

"You did amazing," Alex tells her.  "You're amazing."

El smiles.

Minutes pass and Nancy and Jonathan have not shown themselves.  The gym is shrouded in darkness, the only light that they have is from the moon that filters in through the window.  The electricity has still not flickered back on.  They have not moved since Joyce and Hopper disappeared to retrieve Will.  Time moves on.  The world continues to spin.  The gym is still silent.  Nancy and Jonathan are gone.  Alex can't shake the foreboding feeling that they've been left to fend for themselves again, stranded on a lone island in the center of Hawkins.  They can't step foot outside of the gym.  The waters are still infested with deadly sharks.  They had tasted their blood back in the junkyard, they had been so close to clamping their jaws around them.  But then, they had Hopper.  Now, they only have his trust.  And that doesn't make Alex feel any better. 

After all, how had the bad men tracked them down to the junkyard?  It couldn't have been a coincidence that they arrived just before Hopper.  If he had sold them out once, he would do it again.  None of the others seem to share her trepidations, however.  It must just be another influx of negative thoughts.  They seem harder and harder to deter these days. 

Mike's knee bounces in anticipation and he cranes his neck down to check his watch.  Alex stifles a yawn, still leaning against Dustin.  Finally, Mike lets out an impatient sigh and pushes himself off of the bleachers.  He doesn't say anything as he stalks toward the double doors of the gym and they are left to watch in confusion.

"They're gone," Mike announces when he returns.

"What?" says Lucas.

"Nancy and Jonathan," Mike clarifies, "his car is gone."

"They're probably just sucking face somewhere," Dustin suggests. 

Alex recoils from Dustin and retches. 

"Gross," Lucas groans.

"No!" Mike exclaims.  "No way!"

"Did they go with the chief?" Dustin wonders.

"I don't know," Mike retorts.

"No," El says.  All eyes are on her.  This is the first time that she speaks in over an hour.