I'm a Rook, not a Pawn

It started out as a normal boring day for me, I'd just finished college and like I had been doing for the past few weeks, I was looking for a job. Since it was summer there were loads of seasonal jobs going around, but I wanted something more permanent. I'd emailed, called, even went in person with the hope of finding a job, without any luck so far. I was on indeed and so many more online job websites but no one wanted a freshly graduated college student who only had barista experience, a part time job I'd kept whilst doing my degrees. I guess I could always apply for a full term position, or even look around for other café's and such looking for employees, but making coffee wasn't something I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

I'd worked whilst still in education purely because the college I went to was a decent drive away, but it was the closest college that taught the degree's I wanted at the same time in a joint course. Being underage when I signed up meant the government paid for my education, but I needed money to pay for a car, maintaining it and the fuel to get me there and back.

That three year course was over and I was turning nineteen in a month or so. I didn't want to be one of those graduates that mooched off their parents for months until finally finding a job, that and I was expected to pay part of the rent, utilities, groceries and such, not because my parents couldn't but so I would be ready when I moved out myself. What I paid was only a fraction of the combined amount that was taken from my parents bank accounts each week but it taught me the worth of money and that I needed to spend it wisely.

I had an older brother, six years older than me. He had barely finished school and hadn't gone to college or university. He worked from when he was fifteen, doing odd jobs here and there, working for our friends and family, eventually getting a steady job at a mechanics in town, one he'd had for about three years now.

He was planning on moving out, although hadn't started the process yet. He talked about what his 'new place' would be like with obvious excitement, he had been planning to move out for over a year though, when he actually moved out could be a few more years down the line.

My parents weren't hurrying him out of the house, they just nodded and smiled at his excitement, they knew as much as I did that my brother wasn't that good with money. He often lived pay check to pay check, a portion of his wages going into a separate bank account solely for his 'new place'. Our parents had set it up for him, knowing he'd never save up enough money otherwise.

As I said, today started out just as all the others I'd experienced in the past few weeks, depressing and disappointing, they were certainly not the type of d's I was looking for.

I was single, and a complete virgin. I was almost nineteen and hadn't even kissed anyone, or been kissed. I felt like a failure, completely undesirable and doomed to live alone for the rest of my life. I knew I didn't help myself. I wasn't socially out going, I had a few friends, a small group from school, and another from college, I wasn't really that close with any of them, but all my school friends were firmly out there in the dating world. My college friends were more like me but even they had been on a few dates.

I sat in my car, a second hand car that was worth more in pieces than all of the parts put together. I'd paid a measly £500 for it two and a half years ago after passing my driving test, and if anything it had decreased in value. It got me where I needed to go, so it did the job, and I was still quite a new driver, so it didn't matter if it got a few more scratches on the paint work, or a dent. It was a car I'd probably use until it died, I'd grown comfortable with it if nothing else, I knew all its old car quirks and admittedly I'd grown a little attached to the slightly rusty hatchback.