Last Day

It is Friday morning. Elena's bags are nearly finished packed. She just needs to put in a few other things.

She walks downstairs and is the first one awake.
She decides to make pancakes for breakfast.

The aroma wakes up everyone and they walk into the kitchen.
"Morning." Elena said.
"It smells lovely." said Kristina.
"Thanks, Grams."

Everyone eagerly waits as Elena puts the pancakes on the table. There are fruit and syrup as toppings.
"This is so good." said Nicole.
Kristina wanted syrup on her pancakes.
"Uh-uh, Grams. There is plenty of fruit for you."
She sulked. "Fine."
They enjoyed their food and eventually Nicole left and fetched her and Elena's bags while Elena washed the dishes.

"Okay. That is it. I think I got everything." said Nicole.
"Okay. Call us when you get there." said Kristina, as she and John hugged Nicole and Elena.
"Oh. Mom, how's Dad?"
"He actually called this morning. He is okay. Just a bit tired, but he is at work."
"They should have given him an extra day off." said Elena.
"Well, he was here for a while so it's no surprise." said Kristina.

They went outside and Elena hugged her grandparents, once again. "Love you. I will see you soon."
"Probably much sooner since Dr. Melendez, I mean Neil, is also here."
Elena shook her head. Her eyes then widened.
"Thanks, Grams. You just reminded me about the jacket. I need to give it back to him before we leave." She runs inside, fetches it and come back outside.
"Okay, now we have everything."

They wave goodbye and Elena drives off.

"So, we're going to the hospital?" asked Nicole.
"Yeah. I'll be really quick."
"I'm in no rush. You're the one who wanted to leave today and at this time."
"Well, the bakery is going to busy soon so I thought I should head back. And you have to be at work."
"True, but I could have taken more time off."
"But Grams is doing much better now. We can come back when it is her next check up and we can call, as we always do."
"I guess you're right."

They arrive at the hospital and Elena walks inside with the jacket in her hand. She takes a stroll to Dr. Melendez's office. He seems to be very focused on paperwork. She assumes it must be a case. He looks up and sees her there. He gestures that she enters.

"Hey. This is a surprise."
"Well, I had to bring back this. Thanks, again." She hands him the jacket. He hangs it nearby and leans against his desk.
"You're welcome." he said, smiling.
"I didn't think I'd actually see you today."
"You didn't think I'd leave without saying goodbye, did you?" she smiles, joking.
"Well, I was kind of hoping you would have."
She looks confused.
"Now that I see you, it's making it harder for me to see you leave." he admitted.
She sighs. "Not as hard as it is seeing you."
He smiled. He hugged her tight. He started whispering.
"At least I will see you soon."
"Keep trying to convince yourself. The time will go faster." she said.
He smiled and stepped away from his desk, closer to her.
"But we're going to have to get used to long-distance." Elena said, normally.
"We'll figure it out." he said. She nodded.
He kisses her. He then pulls away.
"Well, I guess I got to let you go."
She sighs. "Yeah."
She starts walking towards the door and she turns around. She looks at Neil. He stares and smiles at her. She looks at the door, turns around and walks back to him, pulling his collar gently and giving him one last, passionate kiss before she goes.

He pulls her closer and then she pulls away, almost breathless.
"Woah." he whispers against her lips.
She smiles and rests her head against his chin. They both catch their breath. "I have to go." she whispered and lifts her head to face him.
He nodded and gave her one last kiss on her forehead.
"Goodbye." he whispered.

She exits his office. She stands outside the door, taking a deep breath as tears rolled down her face. She wipes them and tries to make sure that Neil doesn't see as she walks away from the office and towards the exit. But Neil saw as she wiped her tears.

He turns back to his desk and wishes that she could just step in again, one last time. He looks at his jacket, thinking of their little incident. He sadly smiles and tries to get back to work.

She continues to walk out of the hospital and she makes it to the car. She wipes her tears and gets in.

"You okay?" asked Nicole.
"Yeah. Let's go." Elena said, trying not to seem too flustered.
"Alright. If you say so." Nicole said.
"I'm fine." Elena reassured her.

They drove off and headed for the freeway.