Super soldier serum

3 weeks later

"How are you feeling?" You ask as you sit down beside Steve. He's reading through the plan tomorrow. There are so many pages. It's understandable if he's overwhelmed by it.

"A little nervous.." he admits looking up at you.

"Don't be.. you are as pure and good-hearted as they come" you say reassuringly, resting your hand on his shoulder. 

"How would you know miss?" He asks.

"Firstly we talked about miss... No need for such formalities Rogers.." you smile kindly, hoping to calm his nerves. "And let's just say I have a way of seeing the goodness in people"

"Maybe colonel Phillips is right.." he trails off.

"That oaf!" you chuckle. "He knows nothing about war" you smirk.

"And you do?" He asks curiously. You're a very secretive person.. And apparently, women didn't normally fight on Midgard, such a waste of potential, you know by experience Women make much better warriors than men.

"Let's say I've seen a lot of good people do bad things for wrong reasons.." you share. Thinking back at all the terrible mistakes Thor had made in battles. "I don't wish for history to repeat itself"

"You sound so smart all the time.." Steve says as a small smile creeps upon his lips.

"You really think so?" You light up..

"Yeah totally, you're probably the smartest person I've ever met."

You feel your cheeks gets flushed, but quickly shake the feeling of you. "You should probably get some rest, Rogers." You say weakly as you get up.

"You're right. Thank you for believing in me" Steve says just as you're about to walk out the door.

"Just promise me one thing, Steve. Don't ever change for anyone.. being you makes you stronger than half the men in that field out there" you say before walking out the door.

You almost feel guilty for feeling that warm sensation with someone else than your beloved princes. But your hope of returning home is slowly fading away. Yet the memories and pain of losing them remain just as strong.

The next morning you pick up Steve driving him to the secret laboratory midtown. Or you don't drive, no one's ever taught you that back home. You're simply there to calm his nerves yet again.

"Good morning Rogers" you smile as he gets into the car.

"You can call me Steve you know?" He grins, awkwardly.

"Alright then Steve, but then I exist you call me y/n" you introduce yourself all over again.

"That's a beautiful name," he says.

"Thank you... Steve"

You drive In silence for a while. Steve is awfully quiet.

"What troubles you?" You ask him, curious to the heavy silence.

"I know this neighbourhood" he shares. "I got beat up in that alley," he says pointing out to the small alley you're driving past.. "and in front of that shop...and that parking lot" he grows quieter. "And behind that diner," he says looking embraced down at his hands.

You hide your smile. "Have you always had something against running away?" You tease.

Steve shakes his head. "No but If you start running, they'll never let you stop" he explains. "You just stand up.. push back" You turn to look at him. He seems so small sitting here all crumbled together. "They can't say no forever right?" He says looking up at you as well.