He stopped and thought about it for a moment. She was right. Katherine had chosen Stefan over and over, and toyed with him every day after. She took advantage of his feelings for her, but Katie never did that. Instead of being giddy about her date, she was thinking of him, and the way they left things. A pang of guilt hit him for that, and he turned to look at the younger Forbes.

"I'm sorry," he says, "I'll find a way to make it up to her..."

•••

Katie was making some food to try and calm her nerves, despite her lack of appetite, when her phone buzzed. Caroline hadn't returned yet, so she hoped to see Damon's name flash on her phone. Instead, it was Carter.

Carter: hey, what are you doing on Friday?

Katie: masquerade ball at the lockwoods with my mom and sister, wbu?

Carter: well I was hoping to accompany you ;)

Katie smiled at the text, he was very sweet to offer to join her, knowing she wasn't exactly a fan of these events, and he wasn't either. She hesitated for a moment, knowing that if Damon were there, a lot of issues would be created, but at the end of the day, she needed to prioritize what she wanted.

Katie: Carter going to a ball? By choice?What's gotten into you?

Carter: if you're there, there is no place I'd rather be :) what do you say?

Katie: pick me up at 7 ;)

She was smiling to herself, when she heard Caroline return home.

"Hey how did it go?" She asks nervously.

"I think I got through to him, he knows he's overreacting and being selfish," she says matter of factly, reaching into the fridge to get a blood bag.

"Well...that's good I think?" Katie thinks out loud.

"We we're all gonna go over the plan in an hour, if you wanna come and feel it out?" She suggests, sipping on the thick red substance.

"Yeah, that's a good idea."

•••

Everyone had gathered in the living room of the Salvatore house, including Katherine and Michael, who had snuck in earlier that morning.

Damon was walking down the large staircase to join them, immediately avoiding eye contact with Katie, who he saw was amongst the group from the corner of his eye before entering the room.

"Alright. The Ball is tomorrow night. Let's review the plan," he says, looking around to everyone, except the older Forbes.

Katie didn't even hear anything that was being said, all she could focus on was Damon. He hadn't even looked at her, choosing to ignore her very presence. She was now just angry. How could he be so immature?

"Katie?" Caroline says, jolting her back into reality.

"Sorry, what?"

"You ready to go?" Caroline says, Katie now realizing everyone had left, and she was staring at the ground the entire time.

Damon was in the kitchen, presumably getting more alcohol and a blood bag chaser.

"Not yet, I'll meet you in the car..." she says, suddenly having enough anger to fuel a confrontation, which was very unlike her.

Caroline nodded, knowing she had to get it off her chest, before heading outside.

Katie walked to the kitchen and saw Damon just as she assumed, bourbon in hand. He still wouldn't look at her.

"Seriously, Damon?" She says crossing her arms, seeing if he would say anything before she continued.

He just stood there for a moment, before finally meeting her eyes. He gave her a look she had never seen before.

"I'm sorry I was a jerk" he says, holding eye contact.

"I know you're sorry. I just wish we could have finished our conversation outside the grill..." she says back.

"What would you have said?" He sighs, taking another swig of his drink.

"I would've apologized. I know it doesn't seem right that I let Carter back in after he's hurt me in the past, and you haven't. But part of me thought maybe there's a reason we're back at the same time...I don't know where it will go, and honestly I don't know if I can feel that way towards him again, but I'm willing to try and see how it goes...it's easy with him..."

"Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?"

"I don't know..." she sighs, but deep down she did know. She often found herself taking the easy way out, the way that caused less pain, the one that was more predictable. With Carter, she hadn't let herself fall for him again, and she knew what he has done, so she was prepared for the worst. At the same time, it was truly easy with him. He was a friend before anything else.

"I just want you to know, my friends come first, always." She says looking to him again.

"I know," he says back, genuinely. As much as he hated that she continued to friend zone him, he knew that he would have to show her, prove to her, that he was the one. Not Carter. Not anyone else.

"I'll see you tomorrow night?" She asks, and he smiled slightly and nodded.

"So how about going to the grill and playing some pool?" He says, knowing that he can't hold a grudge for long with her.

"I'd love that," she smiles widely, happy to have her friend back again.