Sick Day

"You'll feel better once you've eaten," Hawlucha murmured, urging the bowl of puréed fruit towards where Greninja lay. The frog in question, however, took one look at the bowl and simply shook his head, eyes glinting with crimson disdain.
"Come on, please? For me?" He pleaded, batting his eyes in uncharacteristic futility.
Greninja simply rolled his eyes and turned away, illness making him irritable.
"What, do I have to feed it to you? Don't think I won't, Greninja, because I absolutely will. Ash didn't send me in here as a last resort for nothing." Hawlucha threatened, feigning his malice.
"You can try," Greninja challenged. "Nothing you do's going to make those sickly sweet berries taste good, though."
"So be it." Hawlucha huffed, and by now Greninja could almost taste the exasperated concern within his voice.
"But I'm not touching that thing." He added with mock disgust as he gestured to Greninja's tongue scarf.
Now wildly amused at the prospect of Hawlucha feeding him, the water-type obliged to his demand, pulling his scarf down to reveal a feverishly flushed face beneath.
"Thank you." He muttered tersely, hunching over to scoop a spoonful of the purée. As he held it up to Greninja's mouth, however, he was met with a scornful scowl, and, by extension, a declination of the food.
"Come on, don't make this weirder than it already is. You've gotta work with me here." He coaxed, prodding Greninja's lips with the spoon.
Knowing he was fighting a losing battle, Greninja opened his mouth ever-so-slightly and bit down, only to find himself enjoying the unexpectedly tasty berry mush.
"Okay, maybe I underestimated this stuff. It's.. it's actually pretty good. Mind handing me that bowl?" He asked, swallowing.
"I knew I could get you to give in."
"You're my weakness," Greninja admitted. "I guess Ash really did know what he was doing." He punctuated his sentence with a lazy shrug and set the bowl in his lap.
A comfortable silence fell over the room as Greninja began to indulge himself in the fruit. Hawlucha could only sit idly by, gazing upon the frog with fond, doting eyes.
"You know, you.. you don't have to sit around here pandering over me if you don't want to.." Greninja murmured after a while, crimson gaze flickering timidly away from where the flying-type sat.
"Are you kidding? Of course I want to," Hawlucha started, resting a claw atop Greninja's aching forehead. "Because I know you'd do the same for me. N- not that.. not that you or I would.. wouldn't, do the same for- for anyone else.."
"Okay," Greninja chuckled, gently grasping at where Hawlucha's talon lay. "I think I get what you're saying. Thank you for looking out for me."
"Come on, Gren," He murmured, dropping the nickname Greninja so cherished. "I love you too much to leave you alone in the state you're in. What kind of friend would I be if I didn't at least try to help lighten your burden?"
"For Arceus sake.." Greninja purred, unable to keep the smile off his tired, clammy face. "How'd I get so lucky? How'd I end up with you?"
"You'll be even luckier once you get better."
And then they sat in silence for a moment more, Greninja, in particular, now too drowsy to even register his sagging eyelids. In fact, it wasn't until Hawlucha removed his claw from Greninja's head that he'd even bothered to gaze over at the now very concerned flying-type.
"You.. look really out of it. I- I can leave no problem if you need to rest, I.." He began to stutter, though his voice died away as Greninja moved to trail a tender hand along his face.
"I-.." He tried again, face beginning to flush profusely.
"I wouldn't want to intrude.." He finally concluded, and Greninja couldn't help but smile at his own adept ability to make the bird crack.
"Stay? Please?" was the only thing he could bring himself to whimper, but that was okay— Greninja knew he'd already won.
"You sure you're not contagious?" Hawlucha hesitated.
"I'm certain. Supposedly this is some weird fever thing only Water-types can get. Wouldn't hurt if you stayed here with me for a while." He crooned, beckoning him forth with an inviting pat on the space beside him.
And perhaps it was just within his feverish haze that he'd heard it, but as Hawlucha curled up beside him, he could have sworn he'd made out the sound of his voice crooning a soft, genuine "I love you." in response.