Greninja x Hawlucha Headcanons to Tide You Over

(You can skip to the words after the page break if you'd rather not hear me ramble!!) HI READER! hi hi hi hi I am SO sorry it's been months since you've gotten a proper update especially since I opened those fic requests! High school is No Joke and I've been swamped with work since I started, it feels like. Please bear with me though as all of those requests are in progress as we speak! Because I didn't want to leave you without content, however, I decided to write some good ol' headcanons (which mind you I've never done before so AGAIN please bear with me ..). I actually had a whole lot of fun writing them and I'd absolutely be down to write more if they turn out to be a hit (and I'll definitely take requests for those, too!)
Whew! That's enough rambling from me; here are your Greninja x Hawlucha headcanons!!

———————————————————————————
- While this trait did not carry over into his evolution nor was it present in Froakie, Frogadier was, at one point, very much a flirt. As much as Hawlucha would claim to despise his antics, internally he was charmed by Frogadier's advances; Then, when Casanova Frogadier evolved into the stoic, borderline unemotional Greninja, well.. the rest is history.
- And sure, he flirted with Braixen on occasion, but he had little real romantic interest in her. He was astounded to find that she'd actually fallen for him, and though he felt awful about having to turn her down, the two still remain close friends.
- They've both given each other lots of affectionate nicknames. Some of Greninja's nicknames for Hawlucha (in order of how often he uses them) are Lucha, Featherhead, and Birdbrain (Hawlucha doesn't really like that last one, haha.). Hawlucha's nicknames for Greninja are Gren (which, despite this one literally being a shortened version of Greninja, it seems to always make his heart flutter whenever Hawlucha uses it..) Froggy and, rarely, Nin.
- Hawlucha would tell you otherwise, but he was the one to catch feelings for Greninja— then Frogadier— first. There was something truly enamoring about his newly laid-back persona (and his fierce battling ability) that drew Hawlucha in, but he'd never ever admit it.
- Maybe Hawlucha fell in love first, but Talonflame was the first to know that Frogadier shared his affections. The firebird couldn't help but notice how frequently Frogadier— hell, how frequently Greninja— would moon over him and Frogadier just hated how much Fletchinder would bug him about it. It was Fletchinder's teasing that eventually got Greninja to bite the bullet and confess his feelings.
- Speaking of mooning, Greninja does that often. Heaven forbid Hawlucha go into one of his posing sessions, cause' Greninja could swoon over those for hours.
- Greninja's a cuddler, for sure. Being alone in Kalos for so long rendered him terribly touch-starved; When he finally reunited with Hawlucha, the first thing he did was sweep him up into such a tight embrace that the poor fighting-type couldn't breathe— of course, once the shock wore off, though, Hawlucha hugged him back with equal fervor, and Greninja's knees seemed to buckle from beneath him once he felt Hawlucha nuzzle into the crook of his shoulder.
- That said, Greninja sleeps best with Hawlucha by his side, and he enjoys snuggling into the latter's soft, warm feathers. Hawlucha used to worry that Greninja's amphibian-ness wouldn't mix well with his warm-blooded nature, but, to his surprise, Greninja was all for Hawlucha's body heat.
- That's not to say Hawlucha isn't at all physically affectionate— just the opposite, actually. PDA has never been his thing (and it's not just because he's a little too short for the casual kisses or hugs) but in private he's the first to pull Greninja down to his height just so he can press a chaste kiss to his lips. Greninja is obsessed with Hawlucha's softer, more affectionate side.
- One of the reasons Frogadier was so entranced with Hawlucha was simply because of how well he handled Noibat. Watching him be soft with the young bat subconsciously made him want Hawlucha to be soft with him, too. A frog can only dream though, right?