002. learn to throw a punch, learn to take a hit

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

     VADA SHOULD'VE KNOWN HAVING THE ASSHOLE FROM downstairs as a karate teacher would be harsh. He was even more of a jerk as a "sensei" than a neighbor. Though, she hated to admit, he was kinda funny. So, her and Miguel's first practice was entertaining, to say the least.

      The two teenagers stood in middle of a mat in some random building at the mini mart. They had their shoes off, awkwardly waiting for Johnny to say something. He didn't, so Miguel spoke,

     "So are we going to get the karate pajamas, too-"

     "Quiet!"

     The teens flinched when he yelled.

     "The student only speaks when spoken to." Johnny said. "Is that understood?"

     Vada nodded vigorously while Miguel replied, "Uh, yes."

     Johnny raised his eyebrow and Miguel corrected himself. "Yes, sir?"

      "You will always address me as Sensei, is that understood?"

     "Yes, Sensei." The two responded in unison.

     Johnny answered Miguel's earlier question, gesturing to his body. "These aren't pajamas. This is a gi. And you'll each get one when you've earned it."

      "All right, are you ready to begin your training?" He asked.

      "Yes, Sensei." They replied again.

      Without warning, Johnny punched Miguel's stomach and threw him to the floor. Vada jumped back in surprise as Miguel groaned.

     "Lesson one, strike first." He announced, glancing to Miguel on the mat and over to Vada, who he walked over to and threw her to the ground just like he did Miguel. "Never wait for the enemy to attack."

     Vada hissed in pain as her back and bruised elbow hit the mat. Luckily, they were on a mat, so she couldn't get really hurt. Miguel slowly got up. Vada followed.

     "You could have given us, like, a warning." Miguel suggested.

     "Quiet!" Johnny yelled.

Vada didn't flinch as much this time. She would just have to get used to the fact that he was extremely loud and rude.

     "We do not train to be merciful here." He explained. "Mercy is for the weak."

     Vada stood next to Miguel as he took an inhaler out of his pocket, shook it, and inhaled deeply. Johnny continued teaching walking in a circle around the teens. "Here on the street, in competition, a man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy—"

     He cut himself off, and walked in front of
Miguel who was using his inhaler to try and catch his breath. "What is the problem, Mr. Diaz?"

     "There's no problem, Sensei." Miguel tried to explain, weakly. "You punched me, and I have asthma, so..."