PART ONE: 1.3

┌────── ∞ ──────┐

1.3

└────── ∞ ──────┘

American schools were just as Athena expected them to be. Only there's less of the 'mean-girls' cliques and more all-around twats.

A week of school went by rather smoothly. Secretly, Athena had been worried about the cliché new-kid-bullying-loner-sh*t that happened in all the American TV shows, but over time there wasn't really anything special. There was a few on-target mean girls, or stoners, but there was also a lot of space in between, which was nice, and surprisingly, it felt a lot like back home.

"98.9." Athena said, making the person sitting next to her look up from the homework assigned earlier in class. The classmate continued to stare for numerous seconds before Athena begins to explain, "You get Pi...then Y'know, a2 + b2 = c2  and then you bring the 8.9 through the function—and its 98.9." Athena explains, thin lipped and nervous, "Sorry—you just looked like you were struggling."

"No, thanks—I was stuck for a while." They say sheepishly, smiling back at Athena.

"It's no problem—just had to get it out of my system—had that feeling."

They nod understandingly (An unusual response for Athena). After a moment, the classmate turns back to her pursing their lips for a moment "Um—are you done with the rest of the classwork? I can use some help on the rest of this—if you don't mind."

"Not at all." Athena replies, "I'm Athena."

"Charlotte." She says lightly, tucking the blonde curls behind her ears, "You're new. And Australian."

"Good observations Charlotte, both correct." Athena smiles, pointing to a question on Charlotte's paper, "This one you just have to divide the exponents before multiplying the entire equation by the linear amount."

"Hm alright," Charlotte nods, jotting down math as she makes conversation, "What grade are you in?"

"12th, I just have to finish the semester for this class." Athena describes, "It was the main excuse for my brother getting me to go here."

"You must be really smart if you're just going to school for this class." Charlotte smiles, continuing to effortlessly write down functions.

"I still have a bunch of credits to earn, so I have filler classes." Says Athena, "What about you, what grade are you in?"

"I'm a sophomore—gonna be a junior in a couple months though." Charlotte shrugged, smiling politely.

"You're in this class—as a f*cking sophomore?" Athena widens her eyes, quickly realizing that Sophomores were 15.

"Yeah, I like math."

"If you didn't I would be praying for you." Athena made a mix between laugh and scoff, "But this is Calc—"

"Calculus Theory and Statistic Data through Topology." She finished for Athena, "I would know the name—I signed up for the class."

"Right—sorry," Athena fidgets with her raven-curls, "But—like this sh*t covers a semester of AP calc in one week, and I thought I was smart."

"You are, you're practically doing my homework for me." Charlotte chuckles lightly, "I already did dual Geometry and Algebra 2 last year, and I'm doing this class and Calculus this year, that way I'll have all my required math credits. Then next year I'll be doing AP calc and AP statistics."

"Sh*t dude." Athena awes, "That's crazy."

"My parents think I'm insane, they're both artsy and whatnot—so they don't get it as much as I do."