Chapter 7 - Thoth's Library

Start from the beginning

"Is that him?... Them?" he asked eagerly until he saw the mass of the same person and slowed down.

"Of course not," Horus stated as he walked in front of you, looking to find the real Thoth.

"Then who are they?" Bek trailed behind to ask, perplexed.

"His trusted servants," Horus began to explain before you spoke shortly after him.

"He only trusts himself," you replied as he turned to look at you. Before you, Thoth himself walked around a long table filled with treasures of Egypt but in his hand? Lettuce

"Wise Lord of the Sacred Word, we seek your counsel," you heard Horus attempt to ask before Thoth held his hand up towards him telling him to be quiet. The God of Wisdom then continued to call out very specific notes on the vegetable. However, he then began to walk around like he did before you stood in front of him, he completely ignored your existence until he sat in his chair and threw the vegetable away.

"You!" He spoke pointing to Hathor, "Turn around." 

"You prefer the view from behind?" she replied as she turned around, you couldn't stand her teasing comments.

"No- I well yes, you know I can't lie. Turn," He instructed Hathor, clearly flustered."I'm not going to risk looking at those tricky eyes of yours." Smart move for a smart God you thought. After Hathor reluctantly turned around, Thoth pointed to Horus. "Forty-seven."

"Excuse me?" Horus asked, honestly confused by the God of Wisdom's comment and as a matter of fact, you were as well.

"The percentage of knowledge I have so far recorded," Thoth replied as he looked at your confused faces. "I'm not even half done," he sighed, looking back to his table.

"Thoth we only need-" You began to plea before being interrupted.

"The answer to the riddle of the Sphinx, a child could deduce why you're here." he shortly answered. "Go ask the riddle and come back and relay it to me, I'll solve it," he shrugged before moving on.

"One of us would have to die." Horus snapped as he turned from Thoth to look at you.

"Well, draw lots," Thoth replied carelessly as he turned his back to you.

"Come with us. One night, ill give you one night," Hathor spoke as your eyes darted to her.

"Can you honestly not shut up" You commented, annoyed.

"No, you won't," Snapped Horus as he began to walk to Thoth, tired of his games "Set must be stopped before he destroys us all, you see the wisdom in that. Don't you?"

"This is too important to risk," Thoth simply stated in return as he pointed to his head."I  can recite the true names of stars, I've seen the world created from sand and water, and I contain all the wisdom in the universe. More precious than some crown. Ha! I have it." Thoth excitedly spoke as he reached for a spot of ink and the lettuce. Suddenly, Horus ran up to Thoth and grabbed the offending vegetable from his grasp, ripping it apart in his face. "It's lettuce!"

"Your Father dropped his guard. That was not only extremely stupid but now I am forced to write down everything I know as a defense against the remote possibility that Set's war finds me." Thoth argued as the two Gods stood face to face. You saw the pain of the loss of his parents torment Horus as he stood up to Thoth.

"I'm sorry that the corpses of my parents have inconvenienced you." You slightly winced at the sharpness of his voice as he mentioned his parents, however, the God of Wisdom lacked this sympathy.

"Apology accepted. Now, get out!" Thoth ordered as he turned away from Horus. Without thinking, Horus grabbed Thoth's shoulder and held him against the table as all the surrounding servants unsheathed long swords, pointing them at him. Quickly, you pulled your own weapons out but only to realize it would be futile as you were all completely outnumbered and surrounded.

"Careful, I outnumber you," Thoth spoke quietly as Horus held him firmly in place. Looking around to see the sheer amount of weapon edges pointed towards him, he let go of Thoth and raised his hands. You quickly threw down your swords as you stepped in front of Horus to Thoth.

"Fine! I'll do it!" you snapped in the God's face, as the words left your lips you felt Horus carefully grab your arm and pull you towards him. You looked up to Horus as he shook his head, you squeezed his hand in reassurance as you turned back to Thoth. " But before I die, I'm going to tell the Sphinx that I asked the God of Wisdom to come but he was too scared he would get the answer wrong." You finally said in a low, cold voice.

"This is the cleverest strategy you could devise? Playing on my ego? How vain do you think i am?" Thoth looked at you and asked but the whole room fell quiet as even every one of his servants looked at each other in agreement.

"Yes, well. Fine," Thoth agreed as he walked past you with haste. "Let's go!" You turned with Horus to follow Thoth through the main corridor. He looked at you smiling.

"Well done," he commented as you looked back at him.

"Thank you," You replied as you all left the library, leaving behind all of Thoth's servants.