f i f t e e n

Amethyst has been in the system her entire life, ever since she was dropped off in front of a random firehouse in her purple blanket, so she never really felt true stability

Amethyst has been in the system her entire life, ever since she was dropped off in front of a random firehouse in her purple blanket, so she never really felt true stability.  Especially once she became a teenager, since teenagers were less likely to be adopted compared to the elementary school-aged kids.  However, she loved Michelle and liked to think that Michelle loved her, so when Michelle handed over a stack of signed adoption papers, it was an understatement to say that she was surprised.  "If you accept, it would take a little time for everything to become official.  And I know it's a life changing decision so you don't have to decide now, or even this week or month. I just wanted you to know that I'm here for you, whether you accept or not, and I have always thought of you as my own dau—"

Overcome by emotion, Michelle's sentence was cut off by Amethyst flinging her arms around her shoulders. "You really mean it, Mich?"

Almost as if she was lost for words, Michelle wrapped her own arms around Amethyst as she usually would, reciprocating the hug as she cooed down at the teenager on the verge of tears.  "Oh, of course I mean it.  When have I ever lied to you?  And your birthday surprises don't count."  Michelle teased, finally getting a small laugh out Amethyst.  "You've been with me for over six months, so it won't take six months to finalize, but it will take a little bit of time to make official."  She said softly, which Amethyst usually called her "mother voice." 

Already having an understanding of the process, Amethyst nodded her head.  "That's okay, I can wait a little more."

The two pulled away from the hug, but still stayed close to one another.  "We can have all these done by morning, but I want you to be prepared.  The agency's going to have to come over a lot more to check in, and the last step is going to court to make it all legal.  But I'll be with you the entire time, no matter how overwhelming it may get."  Amethyst just nodded her head in understanding, a small smile on her face along with tear streaks from her tears of joy.  "Okay, why don't you go up and get some sleep?  It's almost 11, missy.  I'll put away your food swan."

"Sorry, but I told you you didn't have to wait up for me."

"I know, I just wanted to make sure you actually made it back home alive." Michelle stated as if she hasn't met Asher. "Are you guys dating now? I'm ready to hear new stories."

"Michelle! I can't let you know all my secrets." Amethyst whisper-yelled jokingly. Due to her previous troubles of making friends, Michelle has always been Amethyst's gossip buddy, and it didn't decrease when Amethyst finally made friends. If anything, their daily gossip became longer after her making more friends.

"Yes you can, I'm here everyday."

× × ×

Ever since the spring semester started, it seemed as if everyone was always busy, and even though it was now the weekend, there was no exceptions. Rather than hanging out with the friend group, Amethyst found herself with Asher on a blanket at the beach with food from Shake Shack. The two got different flavored shakes, so they were sharing those, but they were eating their own meals. "But yea, I'm supposed to be getting adopted. And apparently my social worker is supposed to make surprise visits, so we can't fake anything, which we wouldn't."