prolouge.

love.

grace would describe it as something that never, ever happens.

a nineteen year old college girl who doesn't believe in love. that's grace ivers.

she never had a boyfriend, not finding the right boy that truly values her for who she is. all the ones from her high school were immature, gross, and were known for cheating on their last girlfriends.

grace wanted to protect her heart, just like her parents did. if she ever came home with a boy, they would annihilate him with questions, making the boy leave and never talk to grace again.

when grace finally got accepted into michigan her senior year of high school, she couldn't wait to be away from her overbearing parents.

freshman year though wasn't what she expected. every boy only wanted sex, and for grace, she wanted to wait. a one night stand wasn't good enough to lose her virginity.

she wanted to wait for the right one. her friends, ella and harley, called her crazy, wanting her to just fuck some guy already, but grace wasn't having it.

waiting for someone was definitely worth the wait.

sophomore year of college was different. each girl hand changed over the summer.

ella became more girly, getting into fashion and makeup. harley got more involved in sports, becoming more tomboyish. and grace, she finally had a boyfriend.

he was from her hometown, league city, texas, and he played football for his division three college. his name was jackson.

grace liked him, maybe a little bit of loving him too, but never getting close to actually having sex.

when grace got back to michigan for the beginning of the school year, her friends were excited she finally has a boyfriend.

the first month of school was rough in terms of her relationship. grace and jackson never seemed to have time to talk.

grace would always have class, and jackson was always at football.

"hey have you seen this video?" harley asked grace.

"what video?" grace questioned.

"it's jackson, kissing and touching another girl." harley told her.

grace froze. she watched the video, hoping that the boy wasn't jackson, but it was.

"grace, i am so sorry." harley frowned. grace's heart broke. she opened her mouth to talk, but no worlds came out.

"i gotta, i gotta go.." grace grabbed her phone and her wallet and ran out of the apartment, needing to get some fresh air.

she didnt want to accept the fact that jackson had cheated on her.

grace sent jackson a quick text saying, we need to talk.

she sat down on one of the benches in the park and stared at the cement.

this was sort of how a love story was supposed to go. being a writing major, she knew how these stories went.

you meet a person, you fall in love, you break up, another boy comes and saves you, you two get together, you get married and then you have kids.

so far, grace was already three steps into the love story.

"you alright?" a boy asked, making grace look up.

"yeah.." grace sighed.

"no you're not." the boy told her. he sat down and looked at her.

"im brendan." he said.

"grace. and im fine. really. i just needed to get some air." she explained.

maybe this was step four?