"Hello? Penelope, are you there?"

"Yeah. You okay?"

"I'm fine," Charles said, though he sounded irritated. "Pierre thought it would be funny to steal my phone. Hang on two minutes, I'll go outside."

Penelope nodded, staring at the white screen of the phone, the noise of whatever party they were at starting to mellow and ebb off in the background. It was late Tuesday night, or she supposed now Wednesday morning, meaning she flew out to New York tomorrow. Her family was meant to go with her, but she hadn't spoken to them since the wedding. The only person she'd heard from was Frankie, who'd text her to say he was flying out Friday night, and that he'd be there for the solo competition on Saturday. That was it.

As promised, after a few minutes, Charles returned. "Hey," he said, his voice clearer now. Unlike Pierre, he was clearly sober or at least close to it. "I'm sorry. I didn't know he was going to call you."

"I don't mind. Where are you right now?"

"Some club Pierre dragged me to. Be much more fun if you were here."

"I saw the pictures on Twitter. Looked like you were having plenty of fun without me."

Something in his tone shifted, becoming panicked. "No, Penelope, it was just fans, I didn't-"

"Woah," she laughed, shaking her head. She'd only meant to make a joke, not scare him into thinking she'd actually believe he'd cheat on her. Despite her past, she trusted Charles now. Plus, the photos were innocent, a few girls hugging him as their friends took the picture. It was hard to feel insecure when it was her that made him hard every night. "It's okay. I'm only kidding. I miss you, though."

"I miss you, too," Charles groaned, like he'd give anything to be back with her. "Is that why you're awake? Miss me too much?"

She had to be careful now. She knew he was trying to catch her out. "Must be. You'll have to make it up to me when you come back."

"You don't sound like you've been asleep, that's all."

She raised an eyebrow. "I didn't know you could tell."

"Well, I know you. I know what you sound like when you're tired. You're not sleeping again?"

"Charles, it's fine. It'll pass."

"What can I do? I want to help you."

She just shook her head, wishing she could give him an answer. "I don't know, Charlie. I think it's just nerves. I don't know how to fix that."

"Just close your eyes."

"Okay..."

"When I started my first season in F1, I got so nervous before a race that I didn't sleep for three days. My coach used to tell me that I had to lie there, eyes closed, and think about something I was looking forward to. So, I was thinking about our plans for summer. I want to go out on the water in Monaco, a little boat or something, just you and me. Think about that. Maybe it will help."

Penelope shut her eyes, dreaming of days on the water with his hands all over her, tasting like salt as he kissed her. It didn't work, but she stayed silent so that he'd think it did.

**********************

There was only one word to describe the first day of Nationals : crazy.

The competition kicked off on the Friday, a day full of rehearsal and watching the Junior categories as kids as young as seven leaped and twirled across the ice. It was the last opportunity to polish out any errors during a two hour time slot on the practice rink before the work really began the next day. It was also a day that consisted of a lot of press, which sometimes ended up being more difficult than the dancing itself.