Untitled Part 7

Lord White arrived back in Nampura to find Otis chest bare dressed in baggy Hindi dhotis hard at work on the property that once was under his claim and didn't know quite what to think of it all. He gazed at the undeniably impressive piece of beautiful architecture in disbelief. He had no previous idea of the handsome Westerner's plans and assumed that Otis had indeed struck it rich. When Otis spotted the old gentleman walking in his direction he did feel somewhat nervous in that he had purchased the land without the Lord's personal consent but he put on a smile and prepared himself to greet the old boy warmly.

It turned out that Lord White, without even making comment on the elaborate structure or even appearing to take notice of it, extended Otis an invite to attend a dinner party at his estate. Not a mention was brought up of the property transaction but as he walked to his carriage the Lord did turn to make comment that, "the house is nice". The American waved as the Mango Baron whipped his horse and the carriage rolled off into the tropical landscape.

Over cocktails before dinner, Otis sat on the back veranda. As he looked out over the yard the Westerner was surprised yet curious to see George Russell and a couple other muscular fellows dressed in black dhotis, twirling and jabbing at one another in what appeared to Otis to be lightening speed maneuvers. He had never witnessed such a display of hand to hand combat. It was as though the fighters were involved in an elaborate, rhythmic dance. The fisherman from Gig Harbor likened the spectacle to something to be seen at, 'The Greatest Show on Earth Circus'. If he never discovered another bit of magic, the knowledge of this art would be enough. He was completely taken with the totally foreign exhibition of speed, skill and balance and determined to pay George Russell for instruction.

To the Swede's surprise, Orinda Dasmani made an appearance with Elizabeth Moore on his arm, her first time coming forth at a social event since her confinement. Shortly more of the Lord's friends and associates began to arrive as well as the two medics from the clinic in the village. It was a casual event. Otis found himself enjoying the gathering. He began to enjoy it even more when one strikingly exotic female arrived. She was with a small group of people and Lord White had become negligent in his introductions so Otis took it upon himself to make the gesture. This one outshined even Elizabeth in her willowy allurement. Her sari draped elegantly from her body, smooth shoulders and slender arms exposed. Gold jewelry lavishly adorned her entirely and her eyes had been blackened with kohl. And it was obvious the dark-eyed beauty was younger than the over-experienced Mrs. Moore. She had come in the company of her parents. Her father was involved in local government working alongside the Brits. Whatever he did specifically flew over the Swede's head. He had been swept away in breathless awe, held rapt in the aura of the sensuous daughter.

It was awkward at first to approach Najhuna. Hindi girls were always so outwardly shy and were reluctant to even give him a look. Upon this occasion the circumstance seemed to remain the same until Otis captured Najhuna's glance and held it over and over again. His pulse picked up and he began to tingle with anticipation, especially when the girl's father and mother strolled off to take in the gardens.

Otis and Najhuna gazed at each other across the dining table and almost in unison arose. Together they stepped out to join some of the others on the slightly cooler veranda.  Otis couldn't make out a word that flowed across the beautiful woman's lips but for a time it did not matter. He was delighted merely wrapped in the gentle aura of her company. The father was too westernized in his thinking to ever consider selling his beloved daughter but the stubborn, love-smitten, Swede would not be daunted. Najhuna would somehow be his.

In a short while Najhuna and her parents offered their thanks and bade their farewells as the love struck fisherman stood with a pleading look on his face. He hoped desperately that she would sense his feelings for her. If only Nadir was there to interpret. But Lord White was of the old institution in which a servant remained in his place, with the one exception of George Russell, the Lord's personal long time friend, confidant, bodyguard, and servant. Otis thought it rather hypocritical that Lord White failed to recognize that the relationship between him and Nadir was quite similar to that of the Lord and his right hand man. Though being unrecognized by those who set themselves above him did not phase Nadir one bit. He had been born into indifference. Otis wished to do something about that.