|Chapter - 5|

Avni was an early riser. She had always been. However, not that she would really admit but there was another factor that had kept her awake that particular night. The arrival of her long lost neighbour cum-friend cum-nemesis cum-trouble partner had her unsettled. Neil was still the same free-spirited outgoing guy that he was ten years ago. It was a different matter that Avni didn't fail to notice the visible changes that were there. He was no longer the skinny lean boy who would shout in front of the mirror because he had an acne outbreak on his face, in fact, he looked manly with a built of an athlete. And it would be rude to not acknowledge such astoundingly beautiful eyes. Those golden brown orbs had a language of their own & he sure knew how to converse with hers. 

Avni had not known how to react when he had come up on her terrace the last night. Of course she knew that they would have to go through that conversation but it had gone quite smoothly, more than she had thought it would be. She could talk without getting jittery or anxious in front of Neil. He had this strange calming effect on her.

But she wasn't bold enough to admit that she had kept repeating their conversation in her head all night & thus failed to get even a wink of sleep through out the night. Shoving her thoughts about him & his golden brown eyes aside, she blamed it on work stress and got off the bed at seven in the morning, worked out for a bit before preparing breakfast for herself & her brother, Karam.

A - Bhai, I am going out with Kareena today. She wanted me to join her for shopping for her college event. - she told as they ate their breakfast.

V - Okay, Beta! Take money from my wallet & buy something for yourself as well, okay? - he said as he smiled at her while Avni nodded with a smile on her face.

Karam felt himself relishing the food a bit more when he saw Avni smiling. His sister deserved the world. And he would do anything to make her happy!

Once done with eating, Avni stepped out of the house as Karam moved into the kitchen to do the dishes. 

Reaching Khanna Mansion, she made her way towards the hall where she found Shweta & Bebe sitting on the sofa as they talked about something.

A - Good morning, Aunty, Bebe! - she said with a smile on her face. 

Sh - Arre! Good morning, Avni! You've come at the correct time. I've made poha for breakfast today. Come, sit. I'll get you some! - she patted at the sofa next to her, gesturing Avni to sit.

A - No, Aunty! I just came for Kareena. We were supposed to go for her shopping today! - she told.

Bebe - Haan toh chale jaana shopping bhi! Pehle nashta toh karo! - Bebe said as she smiled at Avni.

A - Bebe, main toh karke aayi hun. I'm not hungry now! - Avni said as she sat next to her.

Sh - Arre kya not hungry now!? Thoda sa khana padega! Kareena must be coming downstairs in a minute. Tu tab tak ja kar Tillu ko bula le, hm? - Shweta asked as she moved towards the kitchen.

A - Okay, Aunty! Main bulati hun! - she said before going upstairs, where Neil's room was.

Avni pushed the door open & the moment she stepped inside the room, a strong sense of nostalgia hit her. It had been ten years that she had been here. It was still the same. The same sky blue coloured walls & the black stripped wallpaper above the headrest of the bed. The same frames hanging on the wall which held pictures from their childhood. It had been just a day that he had been here & had successfully messed the whole room up. The towel was dangling from the bed & his laptop charger was put on the middle of the bed, half under the pillow. The blanket was unkempt & his dumb-bells were lying on the floor. She shook her head as she fastened the cap of the water bottle kept on his nightstand.