Chapter 27

The Wrath of Gammon

Disclaimer: This story is my humble attempt to write a fanfiction of the epic Mahabharata. My intention is not to hurt anyone's sentiment.

Aum Namah Shivay!!

Major Jayant Roy, SM is a fictitious character. Any similarity with any living person is merely a coincidence.

Chapter 27

Hastinapur, Dwapar Yuga

Jayant/Duryodhana POV

I was standing in front of the punching bag, focusing on my breath. In the next moment, a powerful left hook landed on it. The bag shook violently. Then another jab, followed by an uppercut, then a hook kick landed on it.

I was practicing martial arts alone for last two hours. My body was wet with perspiration. I looked at the bag then started hitting it again.

From yesterday night, my gut feeling was telling me that something was wrong. But, I couldn't understand the reason. There was also another thing, which was bothering me. Yesterday evening, I along with Karna went to take a walk. We entered the palace garden...

Then my memory was totally blank. I tried hard, but there was no result. It looked like someone very swiftly deleted a part of my memory.

I landed another punch, frustrated. The sand bag now had three tears and sand was falling down on the ground. This blank spots in memory was not a good thing.

Was I losing my mind?

Suddenly, I heard the sweet, calming, soft voice of my wife, "I think you should stop now, Aryaputra."

I turned my head and saw her standing. She had a wet cloth in hand. I took it and wiped my face with it.

"Daruka is here from Mathura. He says that he has a letter from Shri Balrama."

The name of Dau Balrama was enough to calm my mind. Priya looked at the guard beside the door, and he walked out, only to get back with Daruka. The charioteer of Sri Krishna stood in front of me and bowed his head. Then he took out a letter and handed it to me. I quickly read it. It was an invitation for me along with my wife to Mathura.

"Priya, Dau has invited both of us to Mathura."

Priya smiled and nodded.

"That's great. I will be very happy to meet him. I want to meet Vasudev Krishna for a long time too. He is an incredible personality! He is the one with the purest knowledge of Shastra and Dharma."

My fists clenched automatically. Destiny was funny...it seemed that my wife was also another devotee of Shri Krishna. Great, just great!

Daruka bowed to us and left us alone. Priya looked at me. Her smile slowly faded.

"What happened, Aryaputra? Why your eyes are burning with murderous intent? Did I do something wrong?"

Her pleading eyes, the fear in her voice, her trembling lips....

I looked at the guard, who understood my meaning, and left us. I came to my wife and placed my right hand on her head.

"No, you did nothing wrong."

I turned towards the gate, hoping to escape and try to calm my mind. I did not want to see her some other side of me, a side scarred heavily by my anger. But her voice stopped me on my track.

"Yes, you are right, because, this time, you did the wrong thing. You do not have the right to insult Devi Draupadi so viciously."

My blood froze inside my veins.