Hello 51

In her old homeland, Lina had even been in the children's fire department. Children from the age of 6 can learn about fire protection. There are even small mini vehicles for the children so that they can learn in a child-friendly way. However, she only remained part of the children's fire department for two years. Swimming was more fun for her and the appointments were on the same day. She just didn't know how to tell her father about it. He would certainly be proud to know that his daughter knows some basics.

"That's the fifty-one", Kelly said, "You'll see it's like a big family." He led her into the vehicle hall. Lina marveled at the red vehicles - it looked very nostalgic. Not at all to be compared with the smaller and more modern vehicles in Germany.

Three men sat at a table. She even recognized the driver from the airport.

"Listen Squad - this is my daughter Lina" Kelly rested his hands on her shoulders and grinned proudly.

"Nice to meet you... maybe you remember me? I'm Joe, this one is Capp and over there is Tony. You know your Dad is our Lieutenant."

Lina looked to Kelly for help. What did he say? She pulled out her smartphone, spoke into the voice input, and showed her text to Kelly.

"I'm the boss of this vehicle," Kelly explained and pointed to the rescue truck, "Squad 3."

"We even have a gift for you" Joe handed her a dark blue shirt with a three-headed dog and squad 3 written on it.

"Why a dog with three", Lina pointed to the heads.

"Heads", Joe finished her sentences, "It's our emblem."

"Like Fluffy."

"Who?" Kelly asked curiously.

"Harry Potter", Lina explained.

Kelly made a mental note: to watch the Harry Potter movies with Lina. He hasn't read the books nor seen the movies, but if his daughter is a fan, he would at least want to watch it. So he can also spend time with her right away. After all, he would like to get to know her better. So far, Lina has been rather silent. She stayed in the background and rarely spoke to them. And the few words that left her lips were mostly incomplete English sentences.

He led her into the common room, where the others were. Because Lina doesn't like large crowds of people (especially since she didn't know anyone except Stella), she leaned against Kelly's side. He placed his hand on her narrow shoulder in hopes of comforting his daughter in some way.

"Fifty-One", Kelly smiled, "May I introduce you to my daughter - Lina. She is staying the shift with us." Suddenly all kinds of people introduced themselves and either shook her hand or even pulled her into a hug.

Sylvie, Gallo, Ritter, Boden, Herman and some man named Couch or something like that. Lina quickly recognized a dalmatian. She knelt down and scratched the dog behind the ears, "What's the name?" she asked.

"Tuesday", Ritter answered. Tuesday - her first best friend of her new American life.

Then Kelly showed his daughter the fire department. Starting with the Chief's offices, the common room, the locker room and washrooms and last but not least the dormitory.

"You can sleep in my office. It's only for one night." Although Kelly organized a child sitter, Mrs Puckett cannot start her work until the next shift. Lina nodded. She eyed the small office sternly. She didn't know if she should look forward to a night at the fire department. She does not like changes. And in the last few days far too many changes have happened. The move to the USA. The new school and the missing friends. She would rather sleep in her own room. Stella helped her to stick colorful pictures of her travels, her friends and animals on the wall of the cupboard. She had started to like her new room. Not at least because her new room was even bigger than her old one.

"Do you like the 51?" Kelly asked nervously.

Lina nodded, "Can you... uhm... the car... inside...?"

"Of course. I can show you the squad" Kelly grinned widely. Apparently his daughter liked the Fifty-One. On the other hand, he would have gotten another problem if Lina didn't like or didn't respect the life of a firefighter. It took up a large part of his life, after all.

In the vehicle hall, he helped his daughter to get into the passenger seat. She looked around curiously.

"What lesson do you do and your team?"

"You mean what tasks we have to do in a call?" In the last few days he and Stella more or less learned how to communicate with Lina. They always try to correct her wrong sentences and ask the questions correctly again. He wasn't sure if that would help her learn the language better, but they haven't come up with any other solution so far. The smartphone and the translation app are still their faithful companions in the new everyday life.

He explained the tasks of the squad to her (among other things, with the help of the translation app).

"So, you can go diving?" Lina questioned with great enthusiasm. In Germany she was part of a swimming club. Here they not only swam, but even practiced diving. And now she found out that her father is even allowed to dive with a real diving device. She would love to dive with fish or turtles in the sea or in a diving center.

Kelly nodded unsure what she wanted to ask next.

"Can we together go diving? Can you show me?"

"I dunno. You're still very young."

"Please!!!" She looked at him with big wide puppy eyes. Kelly sighed and nodded, "But first we need to buy you a neoprene, otherwise you will freeze underwater." There was actually a junior diving license. Besides, they didn't have to dive deep.

Lina smiled, "That will be cool!"

"You know little one... truck 81 is way better than squad 3" Stella said as she joined them. Truck 81 was already in front of the fire department. The ladder extended.

"Do you wanna climb up with me?" Stella asked.

"I allow, but it's high!?", Lina stated.

"Don't worry. Me and your dad are with you the whole time," Stella smiled. So far, the girl avoided addressing Kelly directly. She didn't call him Dad, Kelly or Severide.

So Stella used the word 'Dad' on purpose to help Lina get used to it. Of course, it's up to her what she wants to call Kelly later, but Stella would think it cute if the girl addressed her fiancé as her 'daddy'.

Stella helped her put on a harness so that Lina is always secured to Kelly. It took a few minutes for Lina to climb up the ladder together with Kelly and Stella. Once at the top, she looked at the Chicago skyline.

Stella whipped out her smartphone, "Let's take a selfie!" The three of them laughed into the camera as Stella captured the picture. Then she showed them the picture. They looked like a little happy family.

What Lina still didn't know was how her mother met an American of all people in the world? So why didn't she learn English from birth if her father only speaks English? Why did her mother never tell stories about him? Why did she only find out about Kelly's existence two weeks ago? Was her mom mad at Kelly? What happened between them that he obviously didn't know himself that he had a daughter?

These are questions that Lina would like to know. But she's pretty sure Kelly doesn't know the answers himself. If he did, he probably wouldn't tell her.

It was a quiet night. Squad 3 and Truck 81 were only called out once. Ambulance 61, on the other hand, 4 times.

I'm sorry it tooks me so long to publish! I hope you like it! Next chapter will be the beginning of a conflict. So what do you think will happen? I am going to update next week monday or tuesday!