Possessed - Chapter Eight

Start from the beginning

“Whoa! You are?” I nodded, unable to keep a grin from spreading across my face. “Nice work!” Her face suddenly fell. “What if Spencer did something to her?”

“What?”

“Think about it. What if Katherine’s spirit, or whatever, is trying to get you to find Spencer, so you can expose what he did?”

“No,” I replied. Could that be true? Everything screamed no. He wasn’t like that, he wouldn’t. But I didn’t know him.

“Hey he didn’t look the type to me either, but then who does. Just be careful, that’s all I’m sayin’.”

“Yeah,” I whispered. I wished Frankie hadn’t suggested it now, it was in my head. Spencer being abusive. That couldn’t be it. It just couldn’t. “We should get back to work.”

For the rest of the day Frankie’s words were nagging me. But I still couldn’t bring myself to believe that Spencer would hurt anyone, especially not a woman. I decided not to mention what Frankie had said to Dante, he would probably lock me in the house, so I wouldn’t go out with him.

“See you tomorrow,” I said to Frankie as we parted ways to go home. Dante and I were hitting the gym tonight. It bored me, but it was a good stress reliever, and would take my mind off Spencer for a while. Hopefully.

Dante started out rowing. I avoided that machine like the plague, it was evil, and I vowed never to subject myself to it again. I watched as he pushed himself, gritting his teeth through the pain. What the hell was up with him?

Slowing the treadmill to a stop, I called, “Dante.”

He stopped and looked up. “What?”

“What’s going on? You look like you’re about to collapse. Why work so hard?”

“It’s nothing, just trying to catch up on the workouts I’ve missed.” He scratched the back of his neck. “Are you okay, you know, after the SM thing?”

Was that what was getting to him? Could Dante be starting to believe me? That would explain his mood. Dante hated to be wrong. “I’m fine. Not seen anything else so I probably just freaked over nothing.” I hadn’t and I was still convinced the initials were something to do with Spencer, but I wanted to cheer Dante up. “Hey why don’t we do a quick workout then get a takeaway from that Japanese place by the station? Apparently the noodles are to die for.” It was one of Frankie’s favourite restaurants because the food wasn’t high in fat or calories.

“Sounds good. Back on,” he said, nodding to the treadmill and slapping my butt. Lovely!

We worked out for half an hour and then decided to call it a day. Because we were getting food, we took a taxi home. As uneasy as I felt at home sometimes, I still loved our little place. “I can’t wait to get in and do nothing,” Dante said as we climbed the stairs.

“Me too. Think I’m going to eat, shower and then sleep. I’m exhausted.”

“Might join you.”

I shoved the key in the lock. “Dante, we’re having separate showers. I’ll share a bed with you, but that is pushing it!”

He smirked. “Hey as long as you’re naked I don’t mind where it is.” Looking up, I gave him my death glare. “I’m kiddin’. Come on, I’m starving!”

After eating dinner on the sofa with Dante, I had my hot shower and climbed into bed. My muscles ached and I was so grateful to lay down, wrapped in my quilt. As I’d hoped I felt myself drifting to sleep not long after I laid down.