Chapter Two

Summary: The Princess checks in on the King... things take a turn for the worse.

Evie's Notes: Happy Saturday! I hope you all are having a wonderful week . Thank you for checking out this new update, it truly means the world to me 💜! Let me know what you think - xo Evie 🌺

-----------------------------------------------------

Once Esmerelda had settled the children's choir, she moved on to the second thing on her to-do list, speaking with Wizard Hogancross. Summoning her patience, the princess pushed open the doors to the main throne room to speak with the wizard.

"Princess! How wonderful of you to make time see me today" flattered the old man. "I have some urgent news to speak with you about!"

"Of course wizard" smiled Esmerelda, graciously seating herself upon the throne. "Please share what news you have discovered".

"I fear that there is a great threat to the kingdom that will make itself known on your mother's commemoration day if it is not dealt with immediately".

"What threat do you speak of?"

"There are rumblings of dissent amongst the magical community, your grace. Creature kind has not taken the latest laws passed by your father well. The lack of respect and hostile actions demanded of the knights has driven many into the waiting and malicious arms of Riker's army".

A sharp pang stung Esmerelda's chest. She had heard murmurings of this anger while out and about in the market place as Ciara. Her own best friend Prudy had shared her anger about the laws punishing her own Giant family members. While training with Warwick, the sorcerer shared his own fears about the future as her father passed more and more anti magic and anti creature laws.

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention" replied the princess seriously. "Is there a group in particular that seems most likely to make a move on the Queen's commemoration day?"

"The light elves of Northern Plains have let slip plans to march on the capitol within a weeks time unless they are appeased" explained the aged wizard.

"I will send the Phoenix and Kraken squads to go and investigate these claims. If they bear weight I will have them make offerings of peace to attempt and calm the anger".

"That is most wise your highness"

"As much as I love my father, I can not stand by and see him continue to hurt our people. I will speak to him separately and entreat him to roll back his laws. I will take time to win back the peace and trust of the creature community, but I can only pray that they show mercy upon Astoria".

"Well said, you will make a strong queen one day" remarked Hogancross. "Now if you will excuse me, I'm off to the beach!".

With a bow and pop, the wizard whirled out of sight leaving the princess alone with her dark thoughts. With this latest troubling news what was to become of Astoria?

-----------------------------------------------------

"Father" called Esmeralda carefully as she softly knocked on the door to the king's royal chambers.

"Enter daughter" commanded the king's tired and drawn voice.

"How are you feeling Father?" asked the princess as she pushed open the doors and entered the king's room.

"As well as can be expected" replied the king, though he did not remove his gaze from the room's window.

"That's good to hear. I just left a meeting with Wizard Hogancross. He is concerned about Astoria's safety"

"Yes, I am concerned too. That's why I have been passing so many laws lately. With each new piece of legislation I bring the people of Astoria greater comfort and security"

"Be that as it may my king, there are concerns from the people about the harshness of these new laws which target our citizens"

"Any being that breaks these laws is no citizen of mine" dismissed the king, never removing his sightless gaze from the view of his kingdom.

"Father, please!" begged Esmerelda. "You can't truly mean that the creatures your new laws target are your subjects as well. As king of Astoria you swore a vow to protect all of your citizens. A vow which has been broken through these laws".

The rage that spread across her father's face took Esmeralda by surprise. He had never looked at her like that before. Rising from his chair the man stalked toward his daughter snarling "How dare you tell your king how to rule. Get out of my sight immediately before I have you thrown in the dungeons".

"But father" protested the princess, as she rapidly backpedaled away from the furious ruler.

"Out of my sight!" thundered the king. His shout caused the guards, Rufus and Zarian to throw open the doors with their weapons at the ready. "Guards, escort the princess to her chambers and keep her there. I will not see her again".

Esmerelda continued to plead with her father as the guards' hands latched onto her arms, but her shouts fell on deaf ears. As the guards dragged her from the room, the princess watched her father turn his back on her and return to the chair once more gazing upon his kingdom.

-----------------------------------------------------

Evie's Notes 2: I love hearing from y'all! Let me know what you think of the story so far in the comments or my Tumblr Find-y0ur-j0y! - Xo Evie 💖