...An irreversible mistake.

"Young Lady, do you know who I am?"

The strength in my legs was gone.

Contrary to the fact that Cassius Brudenell does not even have the strength to lift a finger now since he had lost so much blood. But, why-

His golden eyes that were staring at me felt like the eyes of a beast looking at his prey.

"Why aren't you answering?"

His voice was soft.

I shook my head vigorously as I trembled. Isn't there a saying that even if you go into a tiger's den, you can survive if you keep your mind straight?

My gaze automatically went to the Cassius' wound that I had just treated earlier.

'...I'd rather kill him.'

The enormous amount of bleeding was difficult to recover easily without Ophelia's attentive care in the first place. So, even if I have never held a sword properly, I'd be able to kill at least one person who could not resist properly.

I slowly moved towards Cassius' sword-so slowly that he did not notice...

"Are you going to kill me?"

Stop.

My body stiffened.

However, Cassius did not appear upset or rattled. Instead, he was only asking the truth in a calm voice.

"...No."

I put my hands behind my back and hurriedly withdrew from the sword.

"Lies do not work for me."

"...."

I'm doomed.

I shut my eyes tightly.

At Cassius' word, the lost reason returned and awakened me.

'Yeah, if I kill this guy... I will definitely taste the revenge of the Duke.'

Rather, it might be a more comfortable ending to die alive in the fire ignited by Cassius Brudenell, as in the original story.

I answered in a dry voice.

"As I said before, if I kill the Duke, I will get revenge on the Duke of Brudenell. So, I will not kill you."

Cassius smiled instead of answering.

It was the smile of a winner.

***

A week passed.

I work diligently to make sure to take care of Cassius so he would not die.

Of course, it was not particularly meticulous care. But, that did not mean I was not afraid to handle him as harshly as when I first applied the medicine for him. Fortunately, he eventually became well enough to treat himself roughly.

Cassius seemed to be half happy with the change, and half regretted it.

As he was changing the bandages with his skillful hands, Cassius muttered in a languid voice.

"I remember your touch on the first day. It was rough and clumsy-though it's still not bad, but... it is kind of sad."

I was dumbfounded and could not answer anything.

What kind of crazy thinking makes him feel regret?

Seeing me silently blinking, Cassius gazed at into my eyes before slowly opening his mouth.