twenty

I smile as I watch Harry struggle to understand why Therese was asked on a date. She's a beautiful girl; growing up to be a great person. Chris is taller and bigger than her so naturally he has scared all the boys away from our house. But not one.

"When is he picking you up?" Harry asks, our daughter sitting at the counter on her phone.

"7. We're going to the movies," she says, my lips curving.

"That sounds fun," I say, Harry looking up at me.

"Brandi, you are supposed to be on my side," he says, my lips releasing a laugh.

"She's sixteen. That's a perfectly fine age to start dating."

Therese is mainly schoolwork. She is straight A's but has a lot of friends around the school because she gets along with everyone.

"Dad, it's one date," she reasons, his lips releasing a sigh.

"Fine. Who is it anyway? Can't believe I didn't ask that," he mumbles, Therese looking at me and blushing.

"Conrad Hall," she says, Chris walking into the kitchen with his jaw dropped.

"Are you kidding me?" he says, Therese shaking her head.

"What? What has he done?" Harry asks, Chris looking at him awestruck.

"Dad, he's the quarterback," he says, Therese smiling.

"And the leading scorer for the basketball team, and the top golfer in the region," he continues, Therese nodding.

"Plus he's nice," she adds, Harry nodding.

"I want to meet him. Maybe we can go have a friendly day out on the golf course," he tries, but Chris laughs as well as Therese.

"Okay," they sarcastically say, my lips releasing a laugh.

"I can't believe he asked you out," Chris says to Therese, her lips scoffing.

"And why are you so surprised?" she asks, raising an eyebrow.

"Because you're Therese. You like to read and crap."

"Thanks, bro. And I'll have you know that I enjoy watching sports. I know some stuff," she tries, but the two boys start laughing.

"Honey, I love you. But you don't know anything about sports," Harry says, kissing the top of her head.

"Good try Rese. It's the effort that counts," Chris says, my body walking over to Therese.

"Stop picking on her you two. She's perfect the way she is," I say, kissing her forehead.

Therese's POV

I don't know how to act right now, sitting beside a gorgeous boy who took me on this date. He has the perfect jawline, dark brown hair, and blue eyes that have some green flecked in them.

I'm trying to fight butterflies and I just stare at the screen, my eyes watching the movie to try and wash my nerves away.

A warm hand covers mine and his fingers entwine with mine, my lips curving as the burning sensation fills my skin. His hand is huge, my fingers small compared to his, but I don't let go.

His hand lets mine and I slightly deflate, my nose releasing a breath I hadn't realized I've been holding in. But I feel his arm wrap around my shoulders and I smile, the two of us close together now.

"Do you want to go somewhere?" he whispers in my ear, his hot breath tickling my skin.

"Like where?" I ask, his muscular arm tugging me closer.