fifteen

Harry’s POV 

The nurse takes the needle out my arm, thanking me for donating. I’d do anything for Brandi. Donating blood isn’t enough to help her though. If it came to it, she’d receive one of my kidneys if that’s what she needed.

I walk back into her room and sit down beside her, grading papers from my third graders’ multiplication test. They’ve gotten pretty good, but I hate leaving the hospital. I feel like I will jinx myself and she’ll wake up when I’m not here. There is nothing I want more than to be here when I wake up.

“Mr. Styles, we are taking her for surgery now,” the doctors say, my head nodding. I stand and walk with them to the operating room, my hand on Brandi’s.

“You will talk to me as soon as you’re finished,” I remind them, the doctor nodding.

“No worries, Mr. Styles. She’s in good hands,” she says, my head nodding. I kiss Brandi’s forehead and wait in the waiting room, my hand dialing her mum’s number.

“She just went into surgery,” I tell her.

“Okay. Is she holding up? I’m coming tonight,” she rushes, my hand pressing to my forehead.

“She’s stable. The doctors don’t think she’ll wake up soon but she’s okay,” I say.

“That’s okay. How are you doing?” she asks, my lips pursing.

“I’m alright. It hurts but I’m getting by.”

Brandi and I are in this together. I’ve been working because I need to pay the bills. She makes good money at the art studio, but it’s not enough for us. Her mum has been helping as well but Brandi and I need to be independent. We’re going to get married and be together forever. She’s all I have.

“It will be okay, Harry. You’re doing everything you can. I know she loves you and will fight for you,” she says, my head nodding.

“Mr. Styles,” a doctor rushes, my feet standing up. I drop my phone, not even bothering to pick it up.

“We need you to come,” she says, my feet nearly running down the hall. Everything is in slow motion, walking into the room, seeing Brandi pale and nearly lifeless. Her heart rate is incredibly slow and I grab her chin, moving my hands to her cheeks.

“No!” I yell, crying.

“You have to wake up!” I say, her eyes lightly opening before they close again.

“She’s flat-lining!” someone yells, my heart breaking. I’m shoved out of the room and I fall to the floor, crying into my hands.

I’m moved into the waiting room, crying my eyes out as I pray that she’s okay. Brandi and I will be together until we’re old. We’re going to get married and when the time is right, start a family. We’re going to be together through everything because I love her so.

My phone is handed to me and I shove it in my pocket, sobbing like a bastard. I miss holding her. There is nothing I want than a hug from her because that allows me to know she’s safe and okay.

I feel a hand on my shoulder and I look up, her mother crying as she looks at me. My body gets up and I hug her, her arms around my neck tightly. She’s shaking and I’m a sobbing mess. This isn’t how today was supposed to turn out.

~~~

“Mr. Styles, I have a question,” Maggie asks, my feet walking to her desk.

“What can I help you with?” I ask, looking at her sheet.

“Sevens. I’m bad at sevens,” she says, her sevens multiplication table not correct.

“It’s the same as the others. All you have to do is take seven times one to get seven. Then if you add another seven you get fourteen. That’s the same as seven times two,” I say, working with her through all her sevens table.